Jul 8, 2015
Lansdale, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

So, we've lived with this pool for 3 seasons. Last year I found this site, switched to liquid chlorine and had no problems maintaining chlorine, keeping algae in check and having appropriate PH levels. We opened our pool 3 weeks ago. The pool wouldn't hold chlorine day to day. I ordered a TF 100 testing kit. While I was waiting for it to arrive, SLAMed the pool last weekend and have been holding at 3ppm daily . I add 50ish oz of 12% liquid chlorine around 5am each morning. The test kit arrived and here are my results as of 8pm.

FC - 5.5
CC - .5
TC - 6
TA - 90
CYA - zero, can still see the black dot when vial is completely full

Using the basic kit, I get 2ppm chlorine and a ph of 7.5.

I live in the Northeast, it's been sunny in the mid 80's and water temp is 82.

Please help me understand CYA and how to increase it (I never checked it before this year) and give me an idea of what these results mean.

Thanks so much!!

Kim

Well, first thing you need to do is increase CYA to a minimum target of 30.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Think of CYA (stabilizer) as sunscreen for your free chlorine (FC). It also buffers the effects of chlorine for swimmers.

Once the stabilizer is soaking and dissolving, lower pH to 7.2 BEFORE increasing FC to "12". An FC of 12 is your SLAM level and that's what you need to maintain 24/7 as much as possible until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (link below). The key is to maintain that FC level. Follow everything else listed on the SLAM page and you should do just fine.

Let us know if you have nay other questions.

Hello,

On Monday, I added the proper amount of granular stabilizer per the above directions. I started at 0 and my target is 30. I have been testing periodically this week with the T100 test kit and I can still see the black dot when the vial is full. Any thoughts on why my CYA level would not be rising? Note that early in the week the test sample was very clear and as the week has gone on, it is getting a bit more opaque, but can still easily see the dot.

My pool is crystal clear, just not holding chlorine like I think it should.

Thanks!

Kim

I have the Cya dissipating with a target of 30 even though I already put in 6.25lbs last week and my level is still 0. We'll see if it comes up. When I add the liquid chlorine to start the SLAM process, how long do I wait to test the water? Is an hour a reliable amount of time?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.