Cooling Pool with Fountain

provor

Jun 27, 2015
Dallas
Hello,

My pool is quite small ~7000 gallons and in the DFW area the water temp is constantly almost too warm to swim ~95-97 degrees. I purchased a fountain to run at night, but when I put it on a normal return it doesn't even barely spray anything. I decided to hook it up to the booster port from the polaris cleaner just to see as I had an extra adapter, that works wonderfully but the pump seems to be making a lot more noise than normal.... I didn't want to damage it but I wasn't sure why it was making so much noise, any one have any ideas of how to cool the water down without a 2K chiller or if running the fountain via the cleaner port would be bad?

Thanks,
Ryan

Sub, I'm interested in cooling the pool as well (DFW). Ryan, your issue might be that the main pump isn't running and only the cleaner pump is! Both need to be ran same time or cleaner bearing will get destroyed...just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought Intex fountain and it cools pool very well. Hooks right up and was pretty cheap $20 at Walmart. My pool was at 92, & it dropped to 80 over night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought Intex fountain and it cools pool very well. Hooks right up and was pretty cheap $20 at Walmart. My pool was at 92, & it dropped to 80 over night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see how this is possible....an 8 degree drop with just a fountain running? I have recently switched my fountain to run at night and it dropped from 92 to 91. Of course the ambient temp has been fluctuating from 97 to 95 so who knows if that did anything.

I am trying to do some research on covers, chillers and heat pumps. If anyone has any links to previous discussions, that would be great.

I don't see how this is possible....an 8 degree drop with just a fountain running? I have recently switched my fountain to run at night and it dropped from 92 to 91. Of course the ambient temp has been fluctuating from 97 to 95 so who knows if that did anything.

I am trying to do some research on covers, chillers and heat pumps. If anyone has any links to previous discussions, that would be great.

Like everything else................it depends LOL Air temps, humidity, weather conditions, etc.

Kim:cat:

I've installed one recently and the temperature drop is noticeable, maybe 1-3 degrees. I run it during the day, you'll get more of an evaporative cooling effect that way anyway.

Ive not yet tried it but plan to
Assuming Temps fall at night and humidity is basically stable
wouldnt running it night double the impact since yoiu would get evaporative AND tranmissive cooling but exposing that much water that doesnt evaporate to cooler air ?

That ^^^ is how it works at my house. I have to "forget" to turn it on at night because I like the pool warmer than my husband does LOL

Some people even run the solar heaters at night for the same reason-cools the water off.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is probably an interesting thermodynamics question. I agree simple conductive heat transfer will be greater with the cooler night air. However, evaporative cooling would be more efficient at lower relative humidities and higher temps that you have during the daylight hours which will drive more evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.