Baq to Chlor: I added WAY too much chlorine to start

MagzWV

May 24, 2009
West Virginia
Apparently, I don't know how to read or use the pool calculator thingy. It may have been telling me ppm and I mis read in gallons. :hammer: I need a lesson on that thing.
Right out of the chute, I have added 12 gallons of 6% bleach to a 27' x 48" (17500ish gallon) Above Gr pool! Yikes! Prior to the bleach addition, I checked levels of Baq Sanitizer and Oxydizer; all were off the charts, it was already "foamy" due to the fact that we were doing what the pool guy said to do, add algecide, oxy etc...! :grrrr: ) PH wand Alk were perfect, go figure.
What is the worst thing that can happen, my vinyl liner will dissintegrate? Please tell me that the entire pool will not fall apart before my eyes!
We are tired of spending $$$$$$$ on useless baq products and getting nothing but cloudy water!
I don't have the test kit, yet. I expect it tomorrow. I know, I probably should have waited, but I figured the pool can't get any worse than it already is.

27'x48" AG Pool
Haywood Sand Filter

Thank you all for being so knowlegable and being such a help to everyone!!

Hi :-D

I just started the conversion myself on Friday. I don't think your liner will disintergrate because I used 35 gals on my first day just to get to about 15 ppm' s of chlorine. I have a smaller pool 24 round, and I'm just fine. I have used about 60 bottles of bleach so far. I'm on day 3 and already my water is very clear, but I didn't have a lot of banguicide in because I knew I was going to convert. From the sounds of it, you really have a lot, so it's going to take you more bleach and more time. These nice people will jump in and help you soon, they have been great. It takes a lot of patience :-D

PS: I'm from WV too :)

The worst thing that can happen is that the liner will fade a little and not last quite as long as it otherwise would. However, as pepsiholic said, you are probably fine. Chlorine gets used up very quickly at the very start of a baquacil conversion, so the FC level probably didn't get all that high.

Still, it is a really good idea to be more careful and more methodical. Later on in the conversion adding too much chlorine is much more likely to create problems.

What water testing do you have? Even a basic test kit is enough for the first phase of a baquacil conversion.

I had taken the water to the pool supply store yesterday to have it tested, they gave me the Ph and Alk readings as "perfect". The Baq/Oxy reading of high was from them too. The foaminess I can only atribute to too much algacide, per their dosing requirement to "get rid of the cloudiness" along with the extra oxidizer. I'll have the real test kit tomorrow, but until then, I'll be more cautious with my bleach additions. I've got the pool looking yellow right now (after the initial addition of the 12 gallons 2 hours ago). I'm sure that the chlor is being eaten up like mad due to the higher amount of baq we have in it.

Just as it looked like progress was being made, the pump quit working this morning after backwashing. I planned on adding more bleach to get the FC back up to 15, but decided not to since it won't circulate! It's also raining.....Looks like conversion is on hold until the pump gets fixed. :grrrr:

When it rains...it pours..

You may want to take this opportunity to make sure that your pump is appropriately sized for your pool and filter...

1.5 hp seems like a lot of pump for your pool...how many gallons is your pool?

Re: Baq to Chlor: Another Success Story!!

Hi everyone! :wave: Conversion is complete (pics to follow!). Husband and I cleaned out the filter last night (yuk!). The water is crystal! Better than we've seen it in 2 years! :goodjob: Now I have to make sure it's balance properly. I just purchased the borax and baking soda.... off to the pool calculator!
I cannot thank you all enough for your forum! It is invaluable if you have a pool!
Hello to my WV friends also! :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.