Old guy, Old pool, Leslie's didn't help.

Jun 25, 2016
Antioch, CA
Been reviewing the forum after getting frustrated with the amount of TriChlor powder I was pouring in.

Ordering test kit, but all the cheap test kits indicate the CYA is in the hundreds. Which I believe..

Pool meets all the symptoms, takes lots of chlorine to keep it clear, PH was really low, brought up with Borax. So switched to only liquid chlorine. Two gallons a day seems to be holding off algae.

So knowing only way to reduce CYA is drain/refill and California is still in a drought, what can you do with the water?
I have a hose connection on the pressure side of the pump.

Wash vehicles? Dump it on lawn? (going to remove it anyway). Pressure wash house and deck?

Seems I should block the skimmer intake so it pulls from bottom of pool.

Orchard

Welcome to TFP!

Folks in water rationing areas do have problems.

You can Google your area and see if reverse osmosis is available in your area.

Why would you block the skimmer??

Blocking skimmer intake to draw only from bottom? I'd be reluctant myself to do this with pump running. Even though I have valves to shut off intake from skimmers, I'd be reluctant to run the pump to drain only from floor drain once below skimmers.....I think mine would still suck air even with valves closed but maybe I'm wrong.

I know from experience with my setup where pump and filter are lower than the pool water that if we leave the filter on backwash or waste without pump running, it drains. ALOT. It's happened twice here when "somebody" left the filter handle on waste.........hoping it isn't a habit of this person. It seems like a watched pool never fills.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support