VGB Compliant Drain Cover

Re: First time amonia issue

Hi alben,
I hadn't seen your post until today. I've been off on another issue and didn't notice. I'm sorry that no one else addressed the issue either.

My drain cover IS flat and very well could be a Hayward as my other equipment is. We didn't do the install if you read my signature.
A few years ago I became VERY drain conscience because of having a granddaughter and now 3 of them with long hair. I read everything I could find on here about them.
My solution has been to turn off the bottom drain when the girls swim as suggested on here.

Thanks,
Joan

Question for those that know the pool drain safety rules better than I do: In that picture of the main drain shown in this thread, I believe that is a Hayward drain cover that is flat. Shouldn't it be replaced by a newer, raised, drain cover for safety reasons?
The requirement to replace drain covers with a VGB compliant cover only affects commercial pools. Now, new construction or major modification to,a residential,pool may trigger the requirement that they be installed depending on juridpsdiction.

But, it is highly recommended unless you turn the drain off. Many new pools are being built without even having a drain, so it's not the end of the world to turn it off.

If that is a Haward, inyopools has a replacement for about $30

HAYWARD NEW STYLE MAIN DRAIN COVER WHITE - WGX1048E - INYOPools.com

Thank you for the Link and the info Tim.

The granddaughters even know how to turn off the drain and know the possible danger of it.
They won't even get in the pool until they are sure it's off.
When no swimmers in pool, the drain is kept half closed or less to increase skimmer circulation.

Thank you alben, for thinking of our safety and bringing this up.

Joan

Your best option is to get the Paramount SDX retro cover, it has multiple mounting options. The Hayward cover above must be an exact match to the mud ring since the are only two holes for the screws.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

I was pretty sure that was a Hayward cover because I replaced mine about 7 years ago with the newer raised style that tim5055 pointed out. I knew my flat cover was dangerous because if I put both of my feet on the cover, they would suddenly get sucked tight to the cover for a few seconds. So I decided to replace it with the newer raised style.

I replaced mine when the pool was full (and the pump off, obviously). My pool is only about 5' deep, so it was pretty easy. Used a snorkel mask and a weight in one hand to keep me down. Took probably 8 dives, 4 to remove old, and 4 to install new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.