Get rid of CC without ruining the party on memorial day

poolSWG

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NJ
Last night I put in 3 Gal 6% bleach, and from the BleachCalc and expected that to get my level to 8ppm. Ran the pump continuous, and expect to do this until tomorrow. . My test (FAS/DPD) this morning 10AM had TC = 5.5 (spilled before I could figure out CC). I did the CYA test, but I definitely need more practice to get it right. CYA at the end of last season was about 30 which was low so I added 4Lbs today about 11:30. Looking at what has worked for some others with SWG I want to get CYA up around 70. I know I have to wait about a week to test the CYA again to get an accurate reading. I put about 2 lbs in a sock in from of a return and the 1lb in each of the skimmers. The Autopilot is on Power Level 2 @35%.

Here are the numbers from the pool store (1:30 pm):

TC 3.1
FC 2.3
CC 0.8
pH 7.2
TA (w/stabilizer correction) 78
CYA 40
Hardness 250

The TA ia a bit low, and I am concerned about the CC. I wanted to shock the pool when the sun goes down to destroy the CC, but I am having party tomorrow and didn't want to do anything that would prevent the kids from going in the pool (the kids are already on me about going in as I type!). The salt level is currently 2700 ppm according to the autopilot, so I was going to add a 40lb bag. Is it possible adding CYN could messing with that reading? Reccomendations on how to proceed are appreciated. Also, the heater is running.

Your TA is fine, a little high even. When using bleach, we recommend TA be between 70 and 90 without the stabilizer correction. I would leave it alone.

Pool store chlorine readings are suspect. The FC and CC levels can change on the way to the store and few stores use correct test procedures. It would be best if you test the level again yourself and post the results.

If CC is really 0.8 that could be a problem. CC is often noticeable as a skin irritation. You might be able to get rid of the CC in one day, but you may not be. To have the best possible odds of clearing up the CC you should raise the FC level substantially, to perhaps 12, while there is still sunlight on the pool.

Also, depending on where the CC came from, you might have a worse problem. Hopefully not.

Adding salt is fine. It could also wait till later if you want. It shouldn't have much to do with anything else that is going on. If you have a bottom drain, you do want to turn the SWG off for 24 hours after adding salt.

CYA would not affect the salt reading.

New numbers:

TC 3
FC 3
CC 0

I guess you have to be more cautious with the numbers from the pool store. BTW I thought the TA was low because the test kit (TF-100) indicated a good TA range of 90 - 120. I am glad I don't have to do anything about it.

Is a CL change from 5.5 to 3 in 6 hours normal? Although the CYA reading was 40, I did put in 4Lbs a couple of hours before it was taken so it may be a false reading.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.