Here are my numbers
FC: 0.5
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.2
TA: 150
CH: 225
CYA: 0
Temp: 68

I have been trying to lower my TA from 230 since Tuesday this week. I've been using dry acid to do this with a 12 oz. dose approximately 2-3 times a day at no less than 4 hour intervals. The pool store suggested I do this before anything else. However reading more deeply on this forum it looks like I need to slam, but need to bring CYA up first to do this. I need to mention that the water has been cloudy. I have cleaned the pool including vacuuming last night. Started to notice late yesterday that the water was starting to have a slight green tinge to it just befor I vacuumed. I have been bringing PH by aerating. It dropped to 6.8 last night.

So, instead us putting dry acid in again to continue the TA reduction, I have put in the powdered Cyanuric acid to bring up CYA in prep for slamming. Based on the Powderd Cyanuric acid bag instructions in order to raise the CYA from 0 to 30 I needed to add ~24 oz. of powder. I put half in a bucket of warm water and dumped it in the skimmer without the basket. I have placed the other half in a skimmer sock tied it off and have it suspended in the skimmer so it won't clog. The pump has been running 24/7 since Momday 6/19.

Not sure what to do next? Should I start the slamming process with chlorine bleach, if so how much based on an initial CYA of 0 or should I wait? Dazed and confused. Spending a lot of time on this pool getting it up and running this year.

Hello! :wave: Yes, a SLAM is in order. Check your CYA to make sure it's making its way to 30. You need that protection for your chlorine. Increase FC to "12" with regular bleach and maintain it as much as possible day/night until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Refer to the SLAM page for other details. After the SLAM, you can work on TA following the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. When you do though, I would use muriatic acid.

Good luck on your SLAM and let us know if you have any other questions.

Hi BansaiKnitter,
yes, slam is in order. When you finish the slam, you need first and foremost to maintain your FC and your pH.
TA is the last thing you really want to worry about and you can take your time in getting it lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.