Chemicals unbalanced.

Jun 21, 2016
Lesage, WV
First time pool owner. It's an above ground polygroup Summer's wave 18X4. Shocked it last weekend and the levels are unbalanced. And there is stuff in the bottom. I have vacuumed it and cleaned the filter. The stuff is back. I don't know if is algae or just dirt.

Total hardness 0
Total chlorine 10+
Free chlorine 10+
Ph 6.8
Total alkalinity 0
Stabilizer 0

My question is what do I need to do to make it safe to swim in?

first time pool owner. Chemicals unbalanced

First time pool owner.
It's an above ground polygroup Summer's wave 18X4.
Shocked it last weekend and the levels are unbalanced. And there is stuff in the bottom. I have vacuumed it and cleaned the filter. The stuff is back. I don't know if is algae or just dirt.

Using Clorox test strips
Total hardness 0
Total chlorine 10+
Free chlorine 10+
Ph 6.8
Total alkalinity 0
Stabilizer 0

My question is what do I need to do to make it safe to swim in?

The Clorox app says I need

Chlorine stabilizer
Ph protector
Ph down
Calcium hardness increased

And to wait until the chlorine leaves naturally.

Me and my husband just brushed and vacumed the pool and cleaned the filter, hoses and pump. Still testing the same.

Yup, you need a test kit. Some of those numbers are not really possible.

And if the CYA is really 0 and the FC is really that high, then it is not at all safe to swim in.

CH of 0 is nearly impossible. TA of 0 and PH of 6.8 is impossible. Those test results must be from a pool store or a test strip. +1 to a good test kit as the first step.

Re: first time pool owner. Chemicals unbalanced

using the Clorox test strips is a guessing game even with the analyzersi they've installed at Wally World If you're chlorine is really high they don't measure the other items very well

its kind of like a digital pool store salesman telling you to buy a bunch of their chemicals You need stabilizer cya use the pool math to calculate for 30-40 target

Re: first time pool owner. Chemicals unbalanced

I borrowed my neighbors test kit. Well he tested it. The results were pretty much the same. But after hours and $70+ the levels have settled. And turns out it wasn't algae it was pollen.

And my husband had the pump hooked up backwards.

We have no clue what we are doing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used my neighbors well he did it using the K 2006c. Results were pretty much the same. Slight difference. But after $70+ it is now balanced. He said we used way to much shock. And that it's not even algae in the pool. It's pullen. Plus my husband had the pump hooked up backwards.

We have no clue what we are doing. But hopefully we can keep it balanced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.