I'm not a big fan of the combination units, I had my grille deck built so that it was easy to remove a component. I have a really expensive large Big Green Egg next to a rather poor quality gas grille (the landscaper at the time swore it was the best ... should have done my own research). Anyway, if either fails, I can pull it out and replace it. Those combo units remind me of the TVs that came with built in VCRs and DVD players...if anything failed you had to throw the whole thing out.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a nice grill -I particularly like that it has 4 main burners, which gives you good heat control for direct or indirect grilling, a rotisserie, and a sear burner that is separate from the main burners. I have a similar one from Sam's that they sold several years back. Instead of the Kamado grill, it has a built-in gas oven complete with temperature control and automatic cycling of the oven burner and I've been really happy with it - especially for the price.

With all of that said, I went with a separate stick burner (wood-burning) smoker unit. That gave me more total grilling area and more flexibility. Just today, I had a whole packer brisket and several chicken breasts on the smoker. I have found that whenever I use the smoker, I tend to put a lot of meat on it since it does take some time & effort to manage the fire. Looking at the pic, the cooking surface on that Kamado grill looks to be too small to do a whole packer brisket by itself.

If you really like the ceramic style of smoker, I would get a separate and larger unit. I have yet to hear anyone say, "Gee, I wish I got a smaller smoker." It's kinda like refrigerators. Plus, there is something to be said for individual components.

We've never had a ceramic smoker before. Two of the reviews talked about previous Member's Mark grills lasting 10-15 years and their warranty sounds pretty good (though I would call to confirm my understanding of it before purchase.).

We've never had a ceramic smoker before. Two of the reviews talked about previous Member's Mark grills lasting 10-15 years and their warranty sounds pretty good (though I would call to confirm my understanding of it before purchase.).

And further research says they are not built like they were used to. I guess we'll probably stick to Weber. Was just hoping to save a few dollars and try out the ceramic smoker at the same time. Lol

Nice looking grill with lots of features. Does it need assembly?

I was originally thinking about building a summer kitchen but may go for a portable grill and build end modules on each side later one for a refrig. and one for a sink.

I don't want to spend too much for the grill so am seriously thinking about this Sears Craftsmen grill for $499 even though reviews are mixed. It will be undercover in the Lanai. If it lasts a few years it is cheap enough to replace.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-6-burn...gclid=CNC1p-PmyM0CFUgkhgodKqwMww&gclsrc=aw.ds

And further research says they are not built like they were used to. I guess we'll probably stick to Weber. Was just hoping to save a few dollars and try out the ceramic smoker at the same time. Lol

Hmmmm....I'm on year 3 of my Big Green Egg smoker and it has worked flawlessly for that entire time. Compared to my gas grille which is more like a blow-torch than an oven, I can do so much more on the BGE and it costs me next to nothing to run (I go through two bags of BGE hardwood charcoal per season). Honestly speaking, the smoker is a far superior grille - I can get it down to 225F for long, slow smoking or remove the ceramic plate-setter (which creates the indirect heat) and get the rack up to 700F in less than 30mins to do direct heat cooking.

Ceramic smokers are just superior in every way to gas grilles as long as you take the time to use them properly.

Just my opinion.

The Genesis' are nice but I ponied up for a Summit model four years ago. It has a built-in smoke box which works amazingly well, far better than those small iron boxes you stick on the burners. The infrared burner is handy at times as well.

I'd pass on that thing. I see a number of design issues that later, you'd be scratching your head over why you bought it. Most of those combo units tend to not to anything as well as the specialized piece of quality gear they are trying to replace.

I have a BGE XL that I've loved using for about 6 years. It's great piece of equipment. It's one of those things you just ignore the price and buy it. I've not regretted it once. I've cooked pizzas at 800, seared steaks at over a 1000. I've slow cooked a brisket for 17 hours on one bag of charcoal at 225. I've smoked 50lbs of pork shoulder and 45 lbs of brisket for neighborhood parties, I've stir fried in it with a big wok, baked cookies, made breakfast over cast iron skillet.... I couldn't type the list of everything I've cooked in it. It's been a part of so many family and neighborhood gatherings.

But, I also have a entry level Weber 2 burner for when I'm going for a super quick cook, and it gets a fair amount of use on school nights. In the new outdoor space, I'm incorporating a spot for a nicer gas grill, but my BGE is going nowhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.