Always have algae on floor?

88rxn/a

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
ludlow, PA
Hello,
Even though I keep my parameters in check, I always find a little algae on the floor of my pool? the waters crystal clear when I take off my solar cover but the floor isnt?
I sweep it and it's gone until a few days later. I had this problem last year too and I tried slamming the pool and even passed the overnight test, same as this year?
I run my filter 4 hours every day on a timer and add my bleach every day.
What gives?

fc 4
Ph 7.2
Ta 70
Salt 1,100

Also, no matter how much borate I add ( I use the calculator and add the recommended amount) I cannot get my ph up.
I have tried 3 times in the last week. I even tried a different test kit with the same results.

How often are you brushing your pool and running a pool cleaner/robot? Weekly brushing of the entire pool at a minimum is required, even if your running a cleaner. The cleaner can help improve circulation if it is run daily or a couple times per week. What is your CYA level?

Hello,
Even though I keep my parameters in check, I always find a little algae on the floor of my pool? the waters crystal clear when I take off my solar cover but the floor isnt?
I sweep it and it's gone until a few days later. I had this problem last year too and I tried slamming the pool and even passed the overnight test, same as this year?
I run my filter 4 hours every day on a timer and add my bleach every day.
What gives?

fc 4
Ph 7.2
Ta 70
Salt 1,100

Also, no matter how much borate I add ( I use the calculator and add the recommended amount) I cannot get my ph up.
I have tried 3 times in the last week. I even tried a different test kit with the same results.
How are you testing, & what is your CYA level?

Please post a complete set of test results including:
FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

I would leave the PH where it is right now, 7.2 is perfect for a SLAM, and with visible algae, you need to SLAM the pool.

Dom

oops, sorry

CYA 70
FC 4
PH 7.2
TA 70
CH 230
CYA 70

using a TF-100
i have (i think its the name of it) a shark i only use on occasions, but i brush the pool at least once or twice a week before we swim.

Wouldn't I go by the swg's fc goal since I added salt?
I'm currently around 1,100.
I am using the 20 mule team to try and raise my ph.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Do you have a salt water chlorine generator? It's not listed in your signature.

You are going to have to SLAM Process the pool, so leave the pH where it is. That is the starting point for a SLAM Process

No I don't have a salt generator. I use the blue solar salt bags.
Judging by everyone's answer I'm slamming. ..lol
I was under the impression that if I had salt in the pool it requires less chlorine? Am I wrong?
If so, what's the difference from having a salt generator and just adding the salt from bags as far as the chlorine goes?

I was under the impression that if I had salt in the pool it requires less chlorine? Am I wrong?
If so, what's the difference from having a salt generator and just adding the salt from bags as far as the chlorine goes?

Nope, just adding salt to the water does not decrease the need for chlorine. The salt generator is a device that converts the salt in the water to chlorine. It is a common misconception that a salt pool is not a chlorine pool.

Right now you have salty water, but still need to add chlorine.

A salt water generator creates chlorine from salt in the water. If you are not chlorinating that way, you need to be chlorinating with liquid bleach as other dry forms of chlorine add unnessary things to your pool like calcium or CYA. Your CYA is already on the high side for a non saltwater (SWG chlorinated) pool so your chlorine should never drop below 5 or you have an open door invitation for an algae party in your pool.

See the link I posted above for the chlorine CYA chart. You can click on pool school too and read up on ABC's of pool water chemistry.

To rid the algae, you do need to slam then to keep it from coming back you need to keep your chlorine from falling below the minimum for your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks everyone!
i am very well aware of the charts and how they work. what i did not know was that the salt water generators actually produced chlorine for pools! :confused:
that's what had me so confused. i thought for sure i was supposed to use the SWG chart since i had "salt" in my pool!! hahahahahha!! boy do i feel silly!
little did i know...
live and learn i guess.

Still slamming!
I was wrong on my cya, it is only 30. I was starting to get a little cloudy when I posted this but it's crystal clear again with a little algae on the floor every day when I remove the solar cover. I brush it all the replace the cover. And make sure I'm still at shock level and adjust it when needed.

So I still have algae on the floor. I wonder how long it's gonna take?

An hour after I sweep the floor this algae is right back!?
Am I doing something wrong?

How's your CC level? How many ppm of FC do you lose between tests/doses?

How about posting a full set of test results.

How well are you holding SLAM FC shock level? The longer you can keep the pool at shock level the quicker you kill algae.

It's good that you brush to expose any algae to the chlorine. Keep it up and brush as often as you can.

You're running the pump & filter 24/7, right?

Stay the course, you can beat this!

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.