Does Phosphate Affect SWG Chlorine Production?????

RESISTENCIA13

May 21, 2015
Scotch Plains, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Today, a Jandy's technician came to my house to troubleshoot issues I had with my SWG. He tested my water and advised me that my phosphate levels were high (500PPM), which I knew, but ignored as all I have read on this forum indicates that as long as my FC is at the appropriate level phosphate was a non issue. My pool water is crystal clear and I have no algae issues. However, the technician advised me to use a phosphate remover as phosphate affects Chlorine production. This is the first time I hear this. Does anyone has any knowledge about this fact? Is this true? and if so to what extend?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am debating if I should use a phosphate remover or just leaves things alone. Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Last edited:
Note that phosphates are measured in ppb. 500 ppb is 0.5 ppm.

Phosphates don't affect production. If phosphates were super high, they might contribute to scaling, which could cause problems. At 500ppb, there shouldn't be any problems.

What problems did the SWG have?

Hi James!

It was not reading salinity accurately. So they calibrated it. Phosphate can contribute to scaling? Please elaborate as my pool has scaling issues and I am working on solving it. CH is 325PPM now as I drained and refilled in May.

Note that phosphates are measured in ppb. 500 ppb is 0.5 ppm.

Phosphates don't affect production. If phosphates were super high, they might contribute to scaling, which could cause problems. At 500ppb, there shouldn't be any problems.

What problems did the SWG have?

Last edited:
See attached pictures. The jandy guy said I had 500 PPM not PPB. What do you think?

Only really high phosphate levels cause calcium phosphate scaling. Your scale is probably regular calcium carbonate.

Attachments

• PLASTER-2.jpg
    PLASTER-2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 44
  • PLASTER-3.jpg
    PLASTER-3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 44
  • 20160522_143940.jpg
    20160522_143940.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 44
500 ppm is very unlikely. The service person almost definitely would not have a test that measured 500 ppm.

Calcium carbonate scale will bubble with muriatic acid, calcium phosphate won't. Try a drop of acid on the scale.

I ordered my own phosphate test kit (Taylor) so I will confirm the reading soon. The pool is not drained anymore so I will not be able to drop acid on the scale. However, I did tried acid wash the scale when it was drained and recalled seeing bubbles. Thanks for the tips!

500 ppm is very unlikely. The service person almost definitely would not have a test that measured 500 ppm.

Calcium carbonate scale will bubble with muriatic acid, calcium phosphate won't. Try a drop of acid on the scale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.