Time saving idea or potential trouble?

Apr 3, 2016
Baltimore MD
I've determined my pool eats 3ppm of chlorine a day, assuming full sun. That works out to me adding 104oz of 10% bleach, or 119 oz of 8.3% bleach (basically the whole bottle of Costco clorox).

Anyway, I was debating the idea of rather than increasing from 3ppm to 6ppm each night, could I save some trouble and add 6ppm every other night? My target FC based on CYA is 6, so I would be going to 9, then letting it drop to 3 over two days.

Not sure if that could be a problem or maybe a decent idea to ease up on the bleach measuring each night. I have mostly 10% Walmart bleach so I'm adding 104 oz each night which isn't hard but still, it's one extra chore each night.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give it a try and see how it works out. You would be staying under slam levels so it should be ok. Don't be surprised if you lose more FC bumping it to 9ppm. Excess FC tends to burn off quicker.

Two thoughts... What is your CYA and is there a modest level increase that could better protect your chlorine?

For what you are spending in time and bleach... would you be happier installing an SWG and eliminating the daily bleach dance?

Awesome DIY project!

I might consider a swg but not now. New pool and all, I'll stick with this for a bit.

CYA is 30. Some weeks it says 40, some weeks 30 and I haven't added any CYA so I assume measurement error. So I'm in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.