Hayward Sunray suction Pool Cleaner opinions ?

Nov 13, 2007
South Florida
Hi I was looking at the very affordable Hayward Sunray Pool Cleaner. I need a basic pool cleaner for minimal dirt and a small amount of leaves. My pool is kidney shaped, 15,000gal, plaster, 3 steps and two swim outs, with a 1.5hp pump and a Hayward clear plus c1200 filter. I have a dedicated vacuum port as well. I searched this forum and the internet but I could not find any reviews. Seems to be a new product from Hayward. I am only considering it because it is a Hayward product. Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

I have been researching this model and the Hayward Kingray cleaner, the Kingray is on sale and is only about $50.00 more and comes with a two year warranty. I noticed a funny thing earlier and these two Hayward models looked remarkably like the new Dirt Devil pool cleaners on the market. If you go to the hayward site and open the owners manual in PDF format and then go to the Dirt Devil website(http://www.glipoolproducts.com/) You will see that the manuals are identical.

I have found that GLI products is licensing the Dirt Devil name for its pool cleaners. I have not proven this yet but I suspect that Hayward is rebranding the product from GLI pool Products.

There is a rebate available on the dirt devil Pro-V which will bring yoru final price down to $229.00 from intheswim.com. You can also find coupon codes to get free shipping and handling from them.

I am researching for reviews on both products tonite and will probably order tomorrow or the next day if I can find any reviews.

Will update when I find out more

I ordered the Dirt Devil Pro cleaner on Thursday. Was 279.99 and there is a $50 mail in rebate. As I said earlier I believe they are the same as the Hayward models and went with the Dirt Devil because of the rebate. I went with the Pro version because of the 2 year warranty vs the 1 year warranty on other models.

I ordered from intheswim.com and used a code for free shipping. Will let you know how well it works once it arrives.

Ok. Cleaner arrived on Wednsday and I had another problem with pump pressure so Couldnt test until I got that repaired.

The unit is very easy to assemble. The included pressure gauge is very nice as is the replacement jets they send.. I only received one jet and a quick call to the facory and they say they are sending another.

The unit cleans much like any suction side cleaner and can get stuck, which requires some time adjusting jets and proper placement of the weight. Over all its a very nice unit and cleaned most of the pool in about 3 hrs. I will continue to adjust the weight and jets and give a follow up report in a few days.

Overall grade right now is a B+

Depends on your jets and how adjustable they are. The 2 jets they ship are easily adjustable to direct the water down. the suction hose floats so surface tension will direct the hose/cleaner in the direction of the water flow, which will leave the middle of the pool dirty. By directing the water return down while cleaning it reduces this problem.

Once i replaced the second jet and removed the ladder guard, the cleaner now gets 99% of the pool clean in about 3 hrs. I did have to play with weight plavement and the number of hoses connected, but overall it does a good job for the money.

I am upgrading my grade to an A-, It would be getting a solid A however there is a 1 ft section of the pool bottom it misses everytime.

Mark

Has anyone had any trouble with the Sunray sticking to the bottom grate?

My Sunray will always end up sticking to the grate and will not move off. I cut the suction at the grate, and it still sticks.

I've attempted to contact Hayward, but they never replied. I wonder if it is a design issue or if there's a problem with the grate.

Anyone with ideas, please reply. This is incredibly frustrating because I purchased it to clean the whole pool, not just the top of the pool grate.

Thanks,
Guy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.