Help with SWG

Last night:
FC - 3.8
PH - 7.2

This morning:
FC - 2.8
PH - 7.4

Note, I don't think this test was 100% reliable because I had to leave the pump on all night due to continued CYA dissolving efforts. I also haven't figured out how to run the pump without all the waterfalls going. I've got quite the challenge ahead of me on that...

I also have lots of plants around the pool. Right now I'm really fighting 3 large crepe myrtles that are dropping all their beautiful flowers by the truckload.

29.5k gallon 42'x15' with 8.5 deep end, IG Plaster, DE, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

SWG was off last night, but I was going to work today to figure out turning it off in the settings so I can experiment with my white flake problem. It just turned on at 80% and will stay that way for 12 hours. My CYA is finally to a point (40ppm) where my FC was higher at night than it was in the morning (per my testing yesterday), but again I've also got to account for the variable of pool guy putting in pucks :-/

22k gallon, IG Plaster, cartridge, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

I forgot about the pucks. If you lost 1ppm even with those in there along with knowing your FC has been below minimum I'd go ahead and start a SLAM while your CYA is still in a decent range to do it. It shouldn't last long but give some piece of mind before bumping that CYA up.

As for pool service, I'll join the bandwagon and say IF you keep them, be careful. I also initially planned to keep the one the previous owners had been using until we were settled. I replaced 100% of the equipment on a new pad and added the SWG. I had also already let them know I would be taking over, but happy to keep them for awhile but for cleaning and testing only and to leave me their results. Well, I got SWG going, PH rising rapidly, spent money on MA and all the work to get my TA way down. Next pool guy visit my TA wasn't in HIS range on his chart and dumped a huge bucket of sodium bicarb in :( I understand visiting weekly they can't do it our way and they have their simple charts, but that was the end of that counter-productive situation.

Question; if I'm wanting to wait until after the long weekend (would be a major bummer to not be able to use the pool tomorrow), should I pull out the CYA socks now and wait to put them back in until after the SLAM?

Does kreepy need to get pulled out during the SLAM?

22k gallon, IG Plaster, cartridge, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

No reason to pull out the CYA socks, just give them some extra squeezes to help it dissolve faster. If your water is clear you can leave the cleaner in there and swim while SLAMing.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
and the water is clear

We swam every during a SLAM last summer with CYA at 70 and FC at 28. It is a lot easier to brush the pool and scrub the nooks and crannies when you are in the pool.

Wait for Pooldv or someone else to chime in again then. I saw above getting it to 30 or 40 first and I assumed that and no idea if Pooldv thought the same or saw you were going higher since he mentioned his own was 60. If already going higher I have no clue if you are better off stopping but not yet knowing where it truly is or just let it go and assume 60. Shouldn't be a long SLAM anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is my FC still not to "target" for a SWG? I can't seem to find a chart that goes down to CYA 30-40, and according to the regular chart, I have yet to get it to target.

And if you are going to SLAM, it is better not to raise your CYA if at all possible. If you raise it, you will need to keep your maintained FC higher during the SLAM.
If you already added the CYA, it is not a big deal. For now just assume what you were targeting is your current value and use that value to determine your FC for the SLAM - it will probably be fast so you will not use much more bleach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's where my equipment illiteracy comes into play. I can't seem to get my SWG to turn off. I've got an easy touch remote (I've been told the control panel on my SWG does not work), and I've changed "enable" to no in the settings. Ideas?

2b5ea28653bb811c96620f09994eab99.jpg

Lights are all still on. ..

I haven't started the SLAM yet, but I did raise the FC to 5.0. I THOUGHT my pool was clear until I did that. WOW! I can see every blue flake at the bottom of my spa in the plaster now. It's obvious I've not had the min FC where it's needed to be this whole time. Thinking all of this means I definitely need to SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.