Breakpoint chlorination

Jun 20, 2016
Ada, Mi
I have a 25,000 plaster pool with attached spa. This year since opening I can't get much of a free chlorine reading. I use the bio guard test kit but I did just buy the Taylor 2600. If the free cl test sat, it would eventually get fairly pink. The guy at the pool store told me just to walk away from the test and come back in 15 minutes. After doing some research I think I have a high combined chlorine. I shock with 5 gallons of liquid shock Monday night. Tuesday am I was registering adequate free but by the afternoon it was low again. The test at the pool store showed .5 free chlorine, and 2.5 total chlorine. It is calling for me to add nine bags of burnout 73. My cya is 35. Everything else is good. The water is clear but the hot tub does smell when it's running. Advice?
Thanks
Lori

There is a tab at the top of this page where you need to start. It is called Pool School and it will answer all of your questions. It will be confusing at first, but reread it over and over and it will begin to make sense.

Do not trust the pool store. For example, letting the sample sit for 15 minutes is horrible advice. That Taylor 2600 is a good kit, trust your results.

The first thing you need to do is an OCLT to see if you have nasties in your water (I suspect that you do).

Post a full set of numbers here and we can help

Hi Lori,
you have a good test kit in the 2006.

If you are loosing FC quickly, which you seem to be, and have high CC, which you do, then you are verge of an algae outbreak. Since your water is still clear, it wont take you long to fix it.
Here are SLAM instructions. With emphasis on the M for Maintain.
Trouble Free Pool

And Pool Math
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

and here are TFP recommended levels for your pool.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I knew having the sample sit was bad advice. I am going to take your suggestion on the pool school and am research the test you talked about.
thanks
lori

- - - Updated - - -

When testing free cl and adding the fas/dpd titrating agent, the sample turns clear but then gets slightly pink again. Do I keep adding a drops till this stops?
thanks
lori

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lori, part of the problem may be that you're combining chemicals and pool care methods. Applying algaecide is not part of the SLAM instructions, so it's very possible the elevated CC is from the chlorine destroying the algaecide. At the same time, the algaecide you added may have added metals to the water (copper), none of which are good. SO now would be a good time to trust your K-2006 test kit and the SLAM page exclusively. The SLAM instructions will work, but you have to be consistent and patient. When it comes to algae, there are no overnight/quick fixes. Just stick to the regular bleach and everything else on the SLAM page. Very important .... maintain that SLAM FC level and test frequently to ensure you do so. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Your last recorded CYA was 40, so your SLAM FC level is "16".

Do you use the speed stir or manually swirl? When you are testing FC, you keep swirling the powder and adding drops while counting until it goes clear. That's where the speed stir really comes-in handy so you have one hand free. For the bleach - yes, you add anytime day or night as required to "maintain" that FC of 16.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.