Green pool ?

Jun 24, 2016
Goose creek, sc
Hello! My pool has been doing great until about a week ago, it started getting green algae... today I scrubbed the pool down (with a broom, I'm waiting on my pool maintenance kit in the mail) and I double shocked it with granular shock. After finding this website I realized how important it is to test water and keep the chlorine levels up. If I go to walmart tonight, are any of the recommended test kits there? What else should I buy? Thanks!

South Carolina, thanks! Would it be better to grab some of the liquid chlorine since it is stronger? It's about the same cost. Also I will order one of the kits online then. I did read a good bit of the pool school, it was very helpful and that's when I decided I should probably get the test kit. I am using a floater with the chlorine tabs, for future reference should I also be adding more chlorine weekly? Or I guess that would be determined by the test, right?

liquid chlorine and bleach are basically the same thing, just different strengths.
You can use Liquid Chlorine Cost Calculator to find the best deal.

Remember the tablets are raising the CYA, the higher the CYA, the higher the FC must be to keep the pool clear. You have to be sure the FC stays high enough at all times and if that means supplementing with bleach, so be it.

Welcome

As jblizzle said, you need to have an accurate set of test results and the proceed to SLAM. this is a process that will require diligent testing and re-dosing of chlorine as required. Read up in pool school because the answer to your chlorine question is that it will be dependent upon your CYA number. Pool school :)

Post up test results and questions once you get the test kit.

So the good news is the pool is no longer green... I'm going to Scrub it again today and put more bleach in it. The bad news is I bought the wrong freaking test kit... hopefully the seller will just cancel the order before they ship it... I am going to go ahead and buy the correct one. I found the Taylor k2006 with free shipping on walmart.com and should get it by Friday. Quick question though, since I am not getting my brush with the long handle until Wednesday and all I have is the broom, will it be OK to get into the pool to Scrub it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah I kind of figured that one could wait since lighting does seem important with that test... I did just do the ph and it is low... the water sample turned yellow so I will pick up some washing soda tomorrow and get the ph under control and start the rest of the tests.�� I will post the results as soon as I get them, thanks!

As I was falling asleep I realized I may have done the alkalinity test wrong... I'm going to redo that again in the morning along with my cya. I did the alkalinity test first and then my chlorine... on this test kit there is a big tube and a little tube... I thought I was supposed to do the little tube b/c it has a curve at the top which I figured was what I was reading about but when I was doing the chlorine tests I figured out that was wrong. I don't know why it didn't hit me the alkalinity test should have been in that tube too... I swear I'm slow sometimes, I should have watched the video ��. I'll redo it to make sure it is correct and update in the morning! Thanks for your patience, chemistry was not my thing but I'm learning!

Ok, same result with alkalinity so I will definitely add baking soda. CYA- between 80-90 definitely high so should I drain some water first and refill and then add the baking soda? And how long do I wait before I test alkalinity again after adding baking soda?

CYA test should be done in full sun, so it might be slightly lower than that. Even if it's 70 it's still worth a drain/refill. Let it mix around for a little bit after refilling before testing, say 20 minutes.

Ok, I'm about to go to work now but I have 4 days off after today, I will drain about 30% according to pool math and refill tonight and add the baking soda, and retest again tomorrow in full sun. Thank you guys! I'm so happy I found ya'll, I had no idea my pool was such a wreck! I guess one good thing came from algae, lol!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.