Raising CYA with pucks??

Okay, so I added Stabilizer last week and don't think I had quite enough left to do much as it doesn't seem to be raised any. (per test today)

Can I use Tri-chlor pucks in the skimmer to raise it?? I have a bucket of those I bought before I came here and learned BBB. How many should I use?

Thanks!

Oh, my cya is still coming up as around 25.

The pucks will help raise your CYA but I would NOT put them in the skimmer. They are very acidic and can damage pumps and cartridge filters if used in the skimmer. Get a floater and put them in that!

Just to give the pool store a little credit, if you put pucks in the skimmer and kept your pump running at all times (24/7) and ensured you didn't get a power outage, then they should dissolve slowly enough to not be too acidic. Of course, they probably didn't tell you to keep the pump running and that's where they are seriously at fault.

Also, there are "Smart Sticks" from BioGuard that are designed to be put into the skimmer even if the pump isn't always running. Presumably, they do not dissolve unless there is water flow. I can't vouch for them. It would be interesting for someone to have them in a skimmer, have the pump off, then measure the pH in the skimmer after 16 hours of possible pump "off" time.

Anyway, waterbear's advice is correct, you do not normally put in Trichlor pucks into the skimmer, but I wanted to give more info about that. I had a thermometer corrode in my skimmer due to Trichlor pucks (and who knows what my heater looks like), but I didn't keep my pump running all the time (I only did this once) -- this was before I learned about pool water chemistry and started viewing the Pool Forum. We were all newbies once.

Richard

Buggsw said:
Seems to me that I've read several times in here that it can take a while for the CYA to show up in your drop tests, I'm thinking a week.

Yep, it's been about a week since I added. I waited because I had read that before. :)

Thanks everyone. I have been running my pump 24/7 .... sometimes (when I remember) I cut it off during the night and back on in the morning though.

Ya know, I do have this thing on the side where you put Baquacil water softner (or something or other) tablets in. It is down the pipe on the other side from the main cartridge.....basically the next thing closest to the water spout in the pool (what is that called where the water shoots into the pool....I forget!) Anyway, can I put them in there I wonder?

(FYI, I have a Baquacil pump, etc, because that is what the company I bought from (Rec Warehouse) promotes, etc....I don't use the junk though)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a 6 lb bucket and had first put in about 5 lbs (per the pool co. when I started the pool) so I should have had about 1 lb left. That is what I put in the pool. I poured it in a sock and tied it in front of the return. (where the water shoots out....that is what that is called I think?)

So do you think I can put the the trichlor tabs in that bucket thing I described above?

Ya know, I do have this thing on the side where you put Baquacil water softner (or something or other) tablets in. It is down the pipe on the other side from the main cartridge.....basically the next thing closest to the water spout in the pool (what is that called where the water shoots into the pool....I forget!) Anyway, can I put them in there I wonder?
So do you think I can put the the trichlor tabs in that bucket thing I described above?

So, can I? Anyone know?? I can take a pic and post it if that would help.

Thanks

I would guess that the baqua feeder would not be compatible with the tri-chlor feeders.

What is your CYA now? Maybe you are good to go! Save your pucks for vacation or something, or sell them to some poor unsuspecting soul :shock:

RETURN is the word you are searching for! :) where the water 'returns' to the pool!

Here are some pics.....I'm thinking no because it has a warning onthe side that I didnt' see before that says use water polishing disks. Which I assume means nothing else but that.??

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

The water goes through there before entering the pool again through the return. :)

New2pools,

If it were my pool, I would be more concerned about the current CYA level than a delivery method for adding more. If you've added the 6 lbs of CYA, your test should indicate 40+ppm. That would be enough for me, at first, and I would not be in a hurry to add more to the pool thru the use of pucks.

Using the baqua device may work fine or it may allow the pucks to dissolve too quickly running your CYA up to a point where it will be extremely difficult to deal with....proceed with caution. :lol:

Sorry to confuse. :) I had a 6 lb bucket when the pool was first put up in May. I put about 5 lbs in at that time. (May) My CYA level was around 35 after that but I guess through evaporation and splash out has gone down to about 25. I put in what was left in that bucket which should of been around 1 lb. So 1 lb is all I've put in recently. My CYA didn't seem to budge with that addition so that was why I was thinking of going to the pucks next. :)
I have a whole bucket of them (bought just before I started BBB) so I thought I'd just use those to raise CYA level back up to 40 or so.

So, if my CYA level is at 25 how many pucks do you think I need to raise to around 40 or so?

From our local pool store. I forget the brand now. It was their main brand they carried though.

Evaporation, I meant we've had to add water several times now when the pool water has evaporated (or splashed out too some I suppose) which I'm thinking would lower the CYA some since it would be more diluted. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.