old pool being reopened and smells funny

Jun 24, 2016
Bristol ct
Hi I have a 16 x 32 inground pool with a liner. The pool wasn't opened for 7 years we opened the pool 3 weeks ago and it took 3 weeks but we got it sparkling clear. The problem I'm having is the pool smells weird kinda like bleach mixed with grass clippings that sat in a can for weeks maybe even a fishy smell. What can this be? I just shocked it and I'm going to take a sample to the pool store tomorrow to be tested. Has anyone ever had a smell like this? Also there are stains in the liner they are brown I tried scrubbing but they won't come out. Is there anything I can do for this?

Welcome to TFP :)

You have combined chloramines (CC) from the chlorine fighting what is left over from the 7 year pond you had :)

You really need your own test kit, that pool store is not going to help you besides taking your money and you have to return so they can take more... Some are great for small things or bleach..

check out the site some and look at the links below in my sig, if you want we can help :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.