DIY Pool Install - I HATE ROCKS

May 24, 2009
I picked the most level spot in my yard and still found a few rocks. One of them is not coming out. I have a small tractor and was able to remove a few up to 20 inches in diameter. Most were on one side of the pool which is where the last one resides the size of a small planet. I plan to drill and split the top off of that one. If I can't I might move into a direction by 2-3 feet and hope I don't find new rocks out there. Hate to do that though as I'm moving further away from my deck (which was also part of the plan to tie into it some day.

Question: Since I removed a few rocks, that spot is now soft. Should I fill in and pack only stone dust (crushed lime stone) in there? I know you are NOT supposed to build up and I"m not but these rocks were kind of all in the same area (which will be near the edge of the pool.

Seems most of the people on this board have had their pools installed but have watched the process closely. Anyone have to deal with a rock or ledge? what did they installer do?

As for installers I called several. Price did not bother me but the lack of interest in coming out to give me a quote and no call backs from several steered me away from waiting around for someone that likely living day to day with their operations. I have installed a couple of pools in other properties that I have owned so not an impossible job for me just new headaches being unearthed (sorry for my lame joke :).

-Brian

when i installed my agp last year, i had to dig down about 2 feet to make it level as i had a slope in my yard. i took some stone dust and covered the area about 3-4" and packed it down and wet it and repacked. did this process a few times over the course of about a month to make sure it would not sink in when i installed my pool. it has been a year later, and so far no problems with the pool settling in. i dont see a problem with it as you wet it and pack it in with a motorized tamper a few times. dont let it soaking wet though. i know we are not supposed to build up, but sometimes situations calls for it. i wouldnt put over 4" of anything on it. also make sure you use something like the gorilla pad and get it slightly bigger than your pool. good luck with your pool build, as i know labor is getting expensive. im glad i did mine myself. hardest part i had to do was putting up the pool wall and fasten it as you need at least 2 or 3 people to help you and i did mine myself. the extra $$ i saved by doing it myself help me put a deck around the pool.

The area we were in actually HAD to be built up as our entire property is a drained swamp and the water table is high. This is not usually recommended but we worked with a friend who owns a construction company and builds roads and parking lots on swampy areas regulary. We had to dig the area to a level flat, then haul in many loads of Class 5 and use a mechanical plate compactor - every few inches had to be compacted and then more dumped, compacted, more, etc. but it is extremely solid. We do not have access to crushed limerock/stone dust in this region - it can be hauled in from another area of the country but only at great expense. Class 5 is what is used for road foundations and parking lots in our area. This was a long process and work intensive as we did it all ourselves, but well worth it - the pool has never had issues so far.

OK, here is what I did.

My 1st thought was to dig a deeper hole on the side of it and roll it in. However, this rock is roughly the size of a compact care (seriously) so that was not happening.

I ended up patiently slicing slits into the top of it with a diamond masonry blade and with a wedge split the pieces off of it. I took about 6" off of the top. All set now.

Can't wait to dig that trench for the electrical line out to the pump. Ha ha. That will be fun. New Hampshire Soil is 20% dirt, 30% rocks, and 50% big rocks.

-Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.