Possible bad SWG and cloudy water

swim51

Jun 24, 2016
Jefferson, GA
Hi all,

I'm new here and recent new pool owner. We moved here 2 summers ago and this is our 3rd summer. our pool is a 16x32 lazy L 22,000 gallon SWG with Hayward pump and sand filter. The salt cell is a generic brand that was replaced by the previous owner in 6/2013 and we moved here in 6/2014. I have been learning and reading about pool maintenance and doing it mostly myself. The first summer we hired out the closing but I did it last year. I opened the po0ll this season and water was clear and did not take much to get all levels in range. I use the LaMotte Color Q Pool 7 Plus and taylor K-1766 salt test kit for testing the water. After opening the pool maintaining the water was about average but noticed the FCL level was slow to rise and on the low side but acceptable. We went on vacation for a week around memorial day. When we came back there was some algae in the pool and FCL was near 0. I shocked the pool and added chlorine to pool and brushed/vacuumed and after a few days it was looking good and all levels in range. Since then it has been hard to maintain the FCL and am thinking the cell is bad or going bad as there is enough salt in the pool.

Fast forward to this week and I noticed the water in the deep in getting a little cloudy so I shocked again 2 nights ago. I woke up yesterday and the whole pool was cloudy like I have never seen. Could not even see the bottom of the shallow end at 3ft. The only way I have been shocking is by using the small pool shock bags from the pool store and not the method I ready about here yesterday. I added 5 of the bags and the FCL level rose and woke up to the milky/cloudy water. I read that the cloudiness can be the chlorine killing off an algae bloom. Is this what is happening. the morning after shocking my FCL was at 4.4. last night is was at 2.1 and this morning it was 1.70. current CYA is 78. This morning the water was clearer and could start to see bottom of shallow end. I added 3 more bags of shock as that was all I had on hand and with in an hour the water was more cloudy and could no longer see the bottom. Should I continue to shock until water is clear or do something different. I have also been brushing and backwashing the filter. Below I have listed my current readings.

FCL yesterday morning 4.2
FCL last night 2.1
FCL this morning 1.7

After adding 3 bags of shock this morning
FCL 8.02
TCL 8.09
PH 8.0
ALY 105
CH 130
CYA 75
Salt - 4000ppm

the PH is a little high right now but not sure if that is from shocking and I know CYA could be lower which would require draining and refilling some water. What else should I be doing here. I'm going to call the pool store as they will have me diagnose the salt cell over the phone saving me an $80 service call. I'm almost positive it will need replacing. Where is the best place to get one. They seem to be $200 - $300 cheaper online but have heard of people having problems with warranty down the line. They are nothing to replace but the pool store wants $750 with 1yr warranty and $900 for 3yr warranty and I have seen the Hayward T-15 on Amazon for $460.

What should my next step be. Add more shock or switch to the trouble-free pool SLAM method. It seems most here use regular bleach
for that?

Thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

Cloudy Water - HELP!

Hi all,

I'm new here and recent new pool owner. We moved here 2 summers ago and this is our 3rd summer. our pool is a 16x32 lazy L 22,000 gallon SWG with Hayward pump and sand filter. The salt cell is a generic brand that was replaced by the previous owner in 6/2013 and we moved here in 6/2014. I have been learning and reading about pool maintenance and doing it mostly myself. The first summer we hired out the closing but I did it last year. I opened the po0ll this season and water was clear and did not take much to get all levels in range. I use the LaMotte Color Q Pool 7 Plus and taylor K-1766 salt test kit for testing the water. After opening the pool maintaining the water was about average but noticed the FCL level was slow to rise and on the low side but acceptable. We went on vacation for a week around memorial day. When we came back there was some algae in the pool and FCL was near 0. I shocked the pool and added chlorine to pool and brushed/vacuumed and after a few days it was looking good and all levels in range. Since then it has been hard to maintain the FCL and am thinking the cell is bad or going bad as there is enough salt in the pool.

Fast forward to this week and I noticed the water in the deep in getting a little cloudy so I shocked again 2 nights ago. I woke up yesterday and the whole pool was cloudy like I have never seen. Could not even see the bottom of the shallow end at 3ft. The only way I have been shocking is by using the small pool shock bags from the pool store and not the method I ready about here yesterday. I added 5 of the bags and the FCL level rose and woke up to the milky/cloudy water. I read that the cloudiness can be the chlorine killing off an algae bloom. Is this what is happening. the morning after shocking my FCL was at 4.4. last night is was at 2.1 and this morning it was 1.70. current CYA is 78. This morning the water was clearer and could start to see bottom of shallow end. I added 3 more bags of shock as that was all I had on hand and with in an hour the water was more cloudy and could no longer see the bottom. Should I continue to shock until water is clear or do something different. I have also been brushing and backwashing the filter. Below I have listed my current readings.

FCL yesterday morning 4.2
FCL last night 2.1
FCL this morning 1.7

After adding 3 bags of shock this morning
FCL 8.02
TCL 8.09
PH 8.0
ALY 105
CH 130
CYA 75
Salt - 4000ppm

the PH is a little high right now but not sure if that is from shocking and I know CYA could be lower which would require draining and refilling some water. What else should I be doing here. I'm going to call the pool store as they will have me diagnose the salt cell over the phone saving me an $80 service call. I'm almost positive it will need replacing. Where is the best place to get one. They seem to be $200 - $300 cheaper online but have heard of people having problems with warranty down the line. They are nothing to replace but the pool store wants $750 with 1yr warranty and $900 for 3yr warranty and I have seen the Hayward T-15 on Amazon for $460.

What should my next step be. Add more shock or switch to the trouble-free pool SLAM method. It seems most here use regular bleach
for that?

Thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

Re: Cloudy Water - HELP!

The best way to answer of good bit of your questions is with your own testing. There are two recommended kits, the TF-100 and the Taylor 2006K. The poolmath calculator will also help you figure out what's a good baseline for your pool based on a few variables specific to you. And admin will be along to assist you, but rest assured, you will find help and answers here.

Also, and this helped me when I started, but think of "shock" as chlorine. It's not a product, it's a process. Shocking a pool with "shock" is the same as adding enough chlorine to go to a shock level of your pool. Basically, it doesn't matter what product you use to get to that level of FC, but we recommend bleach because it doesn't contain extra goodies, like Copper or Cyanuric Acid, which contribute to more problems later. With your CYA already elevated, the admins here will have some ideas to help you get everything back to clear and easy.

Good luck and welcome!

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to do is SLAM Process the pool to kill the algae. Then see if the SWG can keep up. Algae is probably consuming chlorine as fast as the SWG can produce it.

Also, add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

"Shock" usually lowers PH, not raises it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.