Leaf + tree debris problem? Cheaper options?

juggy

Aug 23, 2015
davie/florida
I was reading up on this forum and it looks like everyone is suggesting robots that cost around 1k. I’m not really into spending that kind of money but I have a big problem with leaves and tree debris hitting my pool on a daily basis. On some weeks, if I let it go a week I can pull out a full leaf skimmer net’s worth of leaves from the bottom of my pool with the side pool skimmer fully loaded as well.

Is there a cheaper option other than cleaning it myself? Honestly, I wouldn’t mind cleaning it myself but I feel this kind of activity can’t be good for my filter and pump because all I can really get are the leaves and not the debris. I don’t really vacuum every week, and brushing weekly is out of the question ;) Are there cheaper options, like say with a vacuum line that can grab a large amount of leaves?

The PoolSkim works very well to collect leaves and other falling debris. My neighbor has crepe myrtles and I have a water oak in my back yard. Between the crepe myrtles and the oak I have a healthy amount of debris fall into my pool. I keep the PoolSkim in place with the pump running and it will collect most of the debris.

I was reading up on this forum and it looks like everyone is suggesting robots that cost around 1k. I’m not really into spending that kind of money but I have a big problem with leaves and tree debris hitting my pool on a daily basis. On some weeks, if I let it go a week I can pull out a full leaf skimmer net’s worth of leaves from the bottom of my pool with the side pool skimmer fully loaded as well.

Is there a cheaper option other than cleaning it myself? Honestly, I wouldn’t mind cleaning it myself but I feel this kind of activity can’t be good for my filter and pump because all I can really get are the leaves and not the debris. I don’t really vacuum every week, and brushing weekly is out of the question ;) Are there cheaper options, like say with a vacuum line that can grab a large amount of leaves?

Daily vacuuming and clearing of the skimmers is the cheapest option. Most of us have a substantial amount of money invested in our pools and we want that investment to retain as much value as possible. A cover is your best option, but it's more expensive than a robot. Without a cover, daily manual vacuuming is going to be cheapest. There's no cheaper alternative to "other than cleaning it myself."

Leaves are a problem....even for auto cleaners. I have a REALLY heavy duty leaf net that works better than anything. It's pricey for the pole (100) and net(40) but they last forever and you can get up the leaves in a few seconds. leaf net. jpg.jpg

Yea, I've been doing it that way Dave, but if I miss a day I have to fish those leaves out from the bottom and these nets aren't great for getting smaller debris and sand at the bottom. I cringe at paying a 1k+ but I'm really not into scrubbing the pool once a week and vacuuming. Was just hoping there was a cheaper older model that could do things that the Dolphin S 200 could do.

My pool is 17,100 gallons and I use a Dolphin S-1, I paid 765.00 and it had a promotion and came with the extra fine filter basket. I swear by it. Even when my pool looks crystal clear and clean, I let the robot free for 2 hrs and it is amazing what it catches, the filter screens in the basket with be black and it catches many small fine particles as well. For 765.00 it was a great investment, I highly recommend it.

I've read good reviews on solar breeze:

Swimming Pool Skimmers | Solar-Breeze Robotic Floating Pool Skimmer

Not cheap, but less expensive than a full blown robot and seems perfect for leaves. I don't have one as I don't get much leaves so I don't have any personal experience, just what I read here.

I just got one . have been using it for about a week and a half . so far so good. its saved me a lot of time , but most of the debris that gets in my pool floats . I got rid of the trees in my yard that produced the heavy sinkable stuff.

My pool is 17,100 gallons and I use a Dolphin S-1, I paid 765.00 and it had a promotion and came with the extra fine filter basket. I swear by it. Even when my pool looks crystal clear and clean, I let the robot free for 2 hrs and it is amazing what it catches, the filter screens in the basket with be black and it catches many small fine particles as well. For 765.00 it was a great investment, I highly recommend it.

I don't see a Dolphin S-1, did you mean S-100? The other cleaners you guys mentioned are good for catching debris, but I was hoping to get something that brushes too since I seem to accumulate a lot of sand from the pavers in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are looking at suction side cleaners I have a zodiac mx8 elite that works great. Cleans my FG pool to the tile line and does just fine with oak and maple leaves that have sunk. I keep a leaf canister in the line so they don't make it to the pump basket. Surface debris goes in the side skimmer. It picks up everything off the bottom except for the occasional small stone. Sand, dirt, worms etc. aren't a problem at all.

Suction side cleaners work for some and other seem to have difficulty with them. Mine was $500+/- after a rebate.

No matter what you will have to clean the skimmer basket and leaf canister frequently... no way to avoid a certain amount of maintenance without hiring someone.... Maybe a neighborhood kid wants to make a few bucks every day?

one option for a low cost cover is one of the bubble covers.

I cover mine daily except weekend days.

There's a neighbors red pine that likes to drop needles, pollen, pine cones...etc.. daily.

hopefully going to trim ALL the branches next season going over my pool, but until then
the cover keeps it out mostly.

I'd also suggest a Reel (see amazon for low cost ones) that way when you reel
it in the leaves will drop to the ground right behind it.

Yea, I saw the bubble top cover, those warm the pool though. That will be my option during the winter so I can use my pool (live in south florida) but honestly I don't want a hot pool during the heat season (spring, summer and fall :D ). I was checking the robots that scrub, honestly, not too impressed by their scrubbing ability. What makes a Dolphin S(whatever model) so much better than the older models? They all seem to be able to walk walls, scrub, and vacuum.. The nautilus seems to be half the price and does the same thing..

Search this forum for info on the Pool Cleaner (Poolvergnuegen). I decided on Pressure Side and it does a pretty good job and we have trees all around our house. There are few parts to repair and it wasn't terribly expensive.

I'm not sure about the pressure ones, don't know much about em. I have a vacuum line and a separate in wall skimmer, but my main concern is I'd rather not keep it running for the 8 hours my pool filter is on every day and having to detach it from the pool would be a pain. I'd guess it would really wear it out. I checked the premier on Amazon, it's out of stock.

I have the same issue and have had adequate results from The Pool Cleaner suction cleaner alone running whenever my filter pump is on. I just leave it in the pool all the time. I only pull it out for parties. Maintenance has been minimal. In heavy leaf-drop times, I have to empty the inline leaf canister a few times a week, but that is only during a handful of weeks in the year. If I don't empty it, nothing bad happens. It will still keep picking up--just not as well. During those times, I also have to unblock the vacuum head of clogging debris (primarily redwood cones or large branches) occasionally. I have not had to do that since the addition of the Solar-Breeze NX several months ago, which eventually picks up most of the floating debris before it hits the bottom of the pool. This winter will be a big test. We keep our pools "open" here--not at swimmable temps but not winterized. We get a lot of wind storms (hopefully rainstorms too) and a lot of debris.

We have a LOT of trees, pics in sig. I have to empty skimmer baskets once or twice daily almost all summer and the skimmer baskets can fill up to the lids in less than 30 minutes during fall. A good leaf rake is important. But, my primary defense is a variable speed pump running 24x7 at 1100 rpm. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm and does a great job of keeping leaves and tree stuff in the skimmer baskets and off the bottom. 150 watts at 10.25c/kWh is less than 12 bucks a month to run 24x7. I had a Pentair Legend pressure cleaner for the last 5 years and it was not a lot of help. I recently bought Doheny's Discovery and so far it is great. Holds a lot of leaves, brushes the pool and most of all is easy to clean. Less than 30 seconds no matter how many leaves it picks up. It was on sale for 650 bucks when I bought it.

More here, Doheny's Discovery Powered by Dolphin?

I got a 4-wheel suction Poolvergnugen about 2 years ago and I’m happy with it. I added an actuator to the 3-port valve to control it with my automation system. The cleaner lives in the pool and runs for 1 hour a day with the VS pump at high speed. Otherwise the cleaner is off when I run at low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.