Cloudy but improving

I think I have the same problem. My pool has been green for over a week now and nothing would clear it.
By chance I came across your great site and did all my readings. Guess what all was fine apart from CYA at 68.
I drained nearly half the pool and got it down to 45 then poured in 20 litres of javel (liquid bleach). Today the pool is blue but a little cloudy.
But I'm getting there.
Thanks so much for a great site.

I think I have the same problem. My pool has been green for over a week now and nothing would clear it.
By chance I came across your great site and did all my readings. Guess what all was fine apart from CYA at 68.
I drained nearly half the pool and got it down to 45 then poured in 20 litres of javel (liquid bleach). Today the pool is blue but a little cloudy.
But I'm getting there.
Thanks so much for a great site.
Welcome.

Thanks to your post (I had to look up "Javel") I now know a bit more about the origins of chlorine for disinfection:

Wikipedia said:
"Potassium hypochlorite was first produced in 1789 by Claude Louis Berthollet in his laboratory on the Quai de Javel in Paris, France, by passing chlorine gas through a solution of potash lye. The resulting liquid, known as "Eau de Javel" ("Javel water"), was a weak solution of potassium hypochlorite. Antoine Labarraque replaced potash lye by the cheaper soda lye, thus obtaining sodium hypochlorite (Eau de Labarraque).[20] However, this process was not very efficient, and alternative production methods were sought. One such method involved the extraction of chlorinated lime (known as bleaching powder) with sodium carbonate to yield low levels of available chlorine. This method was commonly used to produce hypochlorite solutions for use as a hospital antiseptic that was sold after World War I under the names "Eusol", an abbreviation for Edinburgh University solution – a reference to the university's pathology department, where it was developed[21] – and "Dakin's Solution." The UK's National Institute for Health and Care Excellence in October 2008 recommended the preparation should not be used in routine wound care"

Dom

I'm impressed. I have to say I knew little about Javel either. We were happily tossing in a large Chlorilong tablet each week but of course this has stabiliser in it. An english pool guy told us to use Javel instead as it was pure bleach. We use more but generally we have few problems with algae. Our pool is left idle in the winter as we return to our permanent home in Jersey (Island) and we were told to winterise it by pouring in a product called "hivernage". We have a bubble cover and also an abri (aluminium framed cover) so very little dirt gets in. However when we returned later than usual the pool was green so we called in the local Magiline pool technician. He was useless frankly and it has taken me nearly 3 weeks to get the pool clean. But now I know that allowing CYA to get out of control I have the matter sussed...............until next time probably.

Thanks for your comments, yes we are very happy with our pool and after a few problems we are also happy with out sliding pool cover.
The only drawback as far as we can determine is that the cover accelerates the algae if left closed during warm periods.
Problem really is that we leave our pool unattended over the winter months so when we return the pool is green. We do also use a bubble cover that we thought might help prevent algae; but no!
We drop the water level below the skimmer and place a cover over the outlets. We laso remove the pump to a warm place.
My new question is how much javel, liquid bleach, should we install to winterise our pool? The pool is 35ft x 16ft with 75 cubic metres of water.
Alternatively what level of total chlorine is reasonable to keep the pool clean over the winter?
Can anyone help?
Thanks from cold France.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi pooklv, thanks. The cover was expensive and we had some teething problems with it but are glad we didn't sell it as we intended to do!
In the picture you can see that I have stacked the panels one on top of the other. However the normal position is the the first 3 panels slide under the remaining 3 which means some shelter but does not look as good.
The cover does mean we do not need further security which is good.

I don't close my pool and I keep FC between 8-9 and 12-13 ppm. One jug of bleach raises FC 4 ppm in my pool. When FC drops to 8-9 I will test PH and add a jug. The PH test is not accurate when FC is above 10 ppm. Alternatively, you can raise FC to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC consumption is very low during winter when water temp is below 60°f and the days are short. I vaguely recall adding chlorine 3ish weeks last winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.