I need a new pump but have low voltage electrical!

Jun 21, 2016
Boston/MA
I need a stronger/larger pump. I currently have a 1hp super pump that runs on 120v. My electrical box is only rated for 120V. Will the pump below work given my electrical constrains??? Does the 115/230V mean it can run on either voltage.

Pentair 011774 WhisperFlo High Performance Standard Efficiency Single Speed Up Rated Pool Pump, 2 Horsepower, 115/230 Volt, 1 Phase

Is the larger pump for the spa?

What kind of spa jets do you have?

There may be a way to modify the jets so they work with your current pump.

Yes, the pump can run on either 120 or 240 (115/230) What makes you think you only have 120? Is this s sub panel out by the pool or the main panel in the house? While in the past, there were 120 only systems into homes, this was a long time ago and I doubt this is the case today...possibly, but I doubt it. If it is true that your home only has 120 into it, I would suggest a call to a local electrician and get that updated.

I have a sub panel out in the pool house. The Pool company wanted to charge me 1,200 for a 2hp Pentair that was 208/230V ($1,600 total with installation). They said my panel could not handle the voltage so I would need an electrician to upgrade it first. So I figured I should look online for a motor that would work with the low voltage. While doing so I found the Pentair they wanted to sell me at 50% of the price (what a joke)! But ultimately, looking for a strong 2hp motor that wont require electrical upgrades...and want to buy it online so my pool guy does not swindle me.

The issue you will probably encounter is current draw by the larger pump: it's 22.4 amps at 120V. A typical 120V circuit tops out at 20amps with 12ga wiring. With 240V, the pump will require half the amps. In some cases, the existing wiring may support 240V, but you _really_ need to consult an electrician.

The issue you will probably encounter is current draw by the larger pump: it's 22.4 amps at 120V. A typical 120V circuit tops out at 20amps with 12ga wiring. With 240V, the pump will require half the amps. In some cases, the existing wiring may support 240V, but you _really_ need to consult an electrician.
I was just about to point out the same thing ... while you may have the correct voltage, the wiring may not be large enough to support the higher amp draw.

I have a sub panel out in the pool house. The Pool company wanted to charge me 1,200 for a 2hp Pentair that was 208/230V ($1,600 total with installation). They said my panel could not handle the voltage so I would need an electrician to upgrade it first. So I figured I should look online for a motor that would work with the low voltage. While doing so I found the Pentair they wanted to sell me at 50% of the price (what a joke)! But ultimately, looking for a strong 2hp motor that wont require electrical upgrades...and want to buy it online so my pool guy does not swindle me.
But why do you want the larger pump?

is there a 2 pole breaker feeding the subpanel? if so you have 240v. is there a breaker you shut off to kill the power to your sub-panel? if that breaker is 2 pole you have 240v. this is pretty common. you can then put a 2 pole breaker in the sub-panel for your motor. this wouldnt even be a 1 hour job for an electrician and a new breaker would be maybe$20

I have a 37,000 gal pool and a 1hp pump at the moment. Pump is very underpowered. Does not generate enough suction for skimmers to work effectively and not enough force to properly run the caretaker system. plus, does not pump enough GPM for me to filter water in a reasonable amount of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.