First Test with TF 100 Kit

Jun 17, 2016
Rolla, MO
So I got my kit yesterday and followed the instructions for testing everything and I think it went pretty well considering my first time ever doing something like this. Here are the results:

pH 7.2
Chlorine Daily 10+

This was with the little blue box that said to do daily tests to get an idea of whats going on in the pool before further testing should be done.

FC 13
CC 0
TC 13
CH 375 might be a drop too high, could be 360
TA 130 to 140 might have miss counted a drop
CYA 43
Second CYA test with new reagent was 40

I plan to have my pool store in town run a sample for me just to see their numbers, looking forward to seeing how different they are because this kit is easy to use and I feel it is pretty darn accurate.

Pool 6-24-16.jpg

Ok so here is what my pool looks like, its blue and cloudy but the cloudy is coming out very slowly. Every time I backwash I get some watered down milk looking water out and rinse and go back to filtering. I will admit I am filtering practically 24/7, is that bad for a pump? Also what do I do to get this thing clear and sparkling!?

I wouldn't bother going to the pool store. Their results would just add to the confusion. Trust the kit. If you have any questions on the testing, just ask. Remember that the CYA has to be done in full sun, back to sun, vial at waist level, and hold with two fingers. Any CYA results must be rounded up to the nearest 10 as the results are not linear, so a result that looks like 43 is really 50.

Cloudy water means you need to SLAM your pool to kill off the algae that is causing the cloudiness. Check my links for the SLAM. The key to maintain the SLAM level of FC according the Chlorine/CYA chart in my signature. Pool Math will tell you how much bleach you need to add.

Run the pump 24/7, brush daily and test and add bleach to keep your FC at SLAM level. Backwash only when your pressure is 25% higher than the clean pressure. Sand filters work best when they are a little dirty, so don't backwash too early.

I plan to have my pool store in town run a sample for me just to see their numbers, looking forward to seeing how different they are because this kit is easy to use and I feel it is pretty darn accurate. You can do this for fun, but don't let it persuade you to second guess your results ;)

You can neglect your pH reading since your FC is <10. High FC skews the pH results. Are you slamming your pool? If so, I would bump FC back to 16 and continue running your pump 24/7. There is no harm here, besides your electric bill. But yeah, a pool to swim in is worth the price. If you are not slamming, you should be until that water clears up. I would guess a few more days of filtering and you will be there. If you are around to monitor pump pressure you could try adding a little DE to your filter to hasten the results; Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Lastly, when are you backwashing? If you haven't seen it, we recommend backwashing only after a 20-25% rise from clean pressure (pressure right after you backwash). A "dirty" filter will actually filter better than a clean filter up to that ~20% pressure rise. If you are backwashing to early that could be slowing things down.

Keep up the good work.

I don't have a pressure gauge on my pump/filter, I guess I need to get one. I will look into SLAM process for the pool. I will probably have some questions about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I guess I need to do the CYA test again because I was in partial sun this morning, I will do it at lunch time for a more accurate result.

Ok, I will test the CYA again at lunch to get a more accurate reading and go from there on the SLAM process. During the SLAM is it safe to get in the water or should I wait until it is all over with? I ask because the wife may not be happy if I interrupt pool time :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.