Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I noticed this year that after running the pump, the filter head tends to 'gurgle' and let air into my suction line which shows in the pump cover, and then takes about a minute to reprime. I have also noticed some sand at the bottom of the pool.

I have a Sta-Rite Sand Filter T-240BP-1, with a WC112-148A multi-port valve. I took apart my multiport valve the first time, and did a visual inspection. I saw a bit of rust on some of the washers and spring ( I have a salt water cell.). Not knowing what a good gasket should look like, I put some O-Ring lubricant on the gasket to see if this would temporarily fix the problem. It fixed it for a couple days, so I guess that means I need a new gasket. Should I also replace O-Rings and washers spring with rust.

I may have to replace a lateral due to the sand issue. I have read the filter manual. It says that to remove the sand I need to remove the drain cap and slotted lateral tube. How do I remove the slotted lateral? I also read on other posts that a Shop Vac can be used, or I can scoop it out from the top.

The gurgle is most probably a multiport spider gasket (wagon wheel) issue :(

Sand replacements are fairly easy :-D The sand drain slotted tube is almost useless :roll: - go with a shop vac or scoop! I always recommend substituting ~ 1/4 of the sand for pea gravel, which you would add before the sand to cover the laterals :wink: Protect the stand pipe with an inverted cup or duct tape when you add the gravel/ sand and fill the tank ~ 1/2 way with water before dumping the gravel and sand in, to cushion the laterals.

Removing a lateral is as simple as unscrewing it, they just thread in to the manifold (no teflon tape required) - find out which one (s) is bad and replace it.

I know there are posts on replacing sand her, if you need help finding them, let me know :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.