Considering owner/builder in Gilroy, CA

Jun 16, 2016
Gilroy, CA
Hey everyone, new here, great site! I would like to put in a free form pool with a spa and was hoping for some help locating subs in my area. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with sites like Pooleng.com or Ownergrown.com for pool plans/engineering? Thanks.

I have a few companies you could check into from our build last year in Santa Cruz...

Our Excavator was Gary Sluder 408-968-9602 (in Morgan Hill no less!) - He was great.

Prestige Gunite Did our Pool Shell 877 486-4831

Coping was done by Romo Pools - (209) 839-6747 - They had to come back a few times to fix some details but that seems to be normal these days!

California's Gunite & Pool Plastering did our Wetedge finish - (925) 960-9500

--- Another finish company that many use around here and we contacted based on a good referral is Burkett's Pool Plastering (800) 517-3115

The Pool drawings were done in Watsonville (don't have the link to the designer), but the engineering was subbed out to Pool Engineering in Anaheim (714)630-6114 - so the same company you were asking about. I had good dealings with them as we had some issues with the City during inspections and the Structural Engineer worked with us to try to get the information we needed. I think they would be a good company to work with.

Plumbing was done by A Quality Plumbing & Electric Company - Livermore : (925) 449-0891 - I am not convinced they were a great company, but that could be due to bad scheduling and direction by the pool builder.

You said you were doing a free form pool, but if you are looking at covers Aquamatic is headquartered in Gilroy. Our Coverpools Safety cover was installed by Summers Pool Equipment Company (which I understand the company has now been sold and/or closed). We used Coverpools since it matches our Jandy equipment and was warranted to work with SWG.

I have been in contact with Coverpools for some warranty work and they directed me to Central California Pool Covers in Watsonville - (831) 728-9292

I went with a pool builder - we had never been involved in building a pool before. Now, after the fact, I think we would have managed the build better by doing it ourselves...

Fortunately our pool turned out great and the office people, the salesman, and most everyone we dealt with at the builder were great.

However, being in Santa Cruz meant we were a long drive for all of the subs - so I think we kind of got the bad end of scheduling and our delays were a bit longer than seemed necessary. I didn't feel like we could get quick response from sub to sub as they had to fit us in and get over to this are.

I would ask the subs if they will work with an Owner Builder - if not they could steer you towards someone who might. There are a few threads on here I have seen that were O/B in the last year (I remember a couple in the Sacramento area).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.