Soo happy to have found yall! Newbie from Indiana... have no clue what Im doing!?

Soo happy to have found yall! Newbie from Indiana... have no clue what Im doing!?

Hi there! Just decided to get our pool, aka the cess pool, up and running this year. It sat unused and untouched, except for the ecosystem living inside of it and my kids hunting frogs and tadpoles, for 3 years. Had local pool guy come and suck out sludge from bottom. Worked on scooping for 3 weeks myself before hand, replaced skimmer box, pipes and fittings and pump filter box. Currently have a foot of water in bottom and have myself scraped sludge off sides and sprayed with 50/50 miratic acid n water in weed sprayer and scraped and scrubbed agian. Been quite a workout! Lol! Poured 2 gallons of liquid clorinator in today before stsrting acid scrub and stirred and water is no longer swamp like but becoming bluish! Over halfwsy done with acid wash on sides so i will finish tomarrow. Pool water comes Saturday and pool man comes back to hook up pump and show us the ins and outs and get everything going!

Attachments

• VZM.IMG_20160622_171949.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20160622_171949.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 48
  • VZM.IMG_20160622_192111.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20160622_192111.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 48
  • VZM.IMG_20160623_181054.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20160623_181054.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 48
Re: Soo happy to have found yall! Newbie from Indiana... have no clue what Im doing!?

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

This is a good description of how we care for our pools.
TFPC for Beginners

If you've decided to follow Trouble Free Pool Care, your first step is to order a test kit that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You will need that to SLAM your pool, to clean it up so it's easy to look after all summer. The Taylor K-2006 or TF Test Kits TF100 are the only choices. The TF100 is optimized for TFPC. You can buy it at this link: TFTestkits.net

We recommend you also buy the XL option when the pool needs to be SLAM'd, which yours will need. You'll save back the cost of the kit by not buying expensive pool chemicals.

While you're waiting for the test kit, click the button at the top called "Pool School" and start with "The ABCs or Pool Water Chemistry" - have a look for "SLAM" as well

If the pool experts who come to your house want to put chemicals in and charge you for it, we strongly recommend against that. Let us know and experts here will help you decide what to do. If anything, just add a gallon of any non-scented 8.25% bleach per day until your kit gets there. If you have a way to test for pH, let us know your pH.

Re: Soo happy to have found yall! Newbie from Indiana... have no clue what Im doing!?

Laney2010 said:
Pool water comes Saturday and pool man comes back to hook up pump and show us the ins and outs and get everything going!
Did the pool water and pool guy come over this weekend? If so, was the pool completely emptied before refilling or was the fresh water added to the existing water?

Freshwater was added to existing water. There was about 4300g existing (1-1.5ft). The existing water had about 1.5g of miratic acid (from scrubbing scale off of sides), 1g outdoor bleach and 1g liquid clorinator that i added. It was almost clear except for some sediment and had went from a murky green to a pretty almost clear teal. Now i definatly am growing more algae. Its cloudy and a greenish tinge. Last night we put 4g of 8.5% bleach, 2g of 12.5% pool shock, 1 3in super 4-in-1 tab in skimmer basket and 8 more super tabs floating around in clorinator floats. We dont have our test kit yet. So we got a 3 way test kit and a 6 way test strip kit. I have tested this morning and i think strips r defective bc there is no change! Please help me!

The first thing that you will need is one of the Recommended Test Kits. I'm not sure from your previous posts if you had ordered one of these kits yet. If you have, great! If not, I would do that tonight. Our methods are based on accurate test results obtained from a trusted kit and adding only what is necessary for your pool. This will eliminate the tendency of dumping various chemicals in the pool, which it appears you are now doing.

Laney2010 said:
Last night we put 4g of 8.5% bleach, 2g of 12.5% pool shock, 1 3in super 4-in-1 tab in skimmer basket and 8 more super tabs floating around in clorinator floats.
First, I would remove all tablets from the skimmer baskets as this will send high concentrations of chlorine to your pump/filter and increase the likelihood of wearing out pump seals. We recommend plain, unscented liquid bleach for chlorine and adding it in front of a return jet while the pump is running. This will disperse the chlorine evenly in the water.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, I would suggest reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain articles. Since you have algae, you will need to do a SLAM. However, you will need one of the recommended test kits that is capable of reading the higher chlorine levels associated with the SLAM before you can start it.

Once you get one of the recommended test kits, please post a full set of test results and we will go from there.

Ok here it goes... still no kit, sent but not recieved so took sample into ace n got it tested
Fc 17
Tc 17
Ph 7.1
Ch 401
Cya 4ppm which =40 correct?
Ta 94
I been winging it as far as readings go aka strips. Based on that lowered ph was 7.8, with borax, had no cya so added 4 lbs yesterday per panty hose 3ls dangled by return and 1lbs in skimmer.. was definatley sweating it while on here reading n reading and comparing lol. But pool is clearing up great. Now to vacum? Been brushing n brushing. Still have rough scale on sides of pool that is slowly melting(?) away. Also bottom of liner has nice dark leaf pattern marks. I know its hard to say with what im giving you to work with as far as my kit not here yet. But any help, pointers, advise, experiences is greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok here it goes... still no kit, sent but not recieved so took sample into ace n got it tested
Fc 17
Tc 17
Ph 7.1
Ch 401
Ta 94
Copper 0
Iron 0
I been winging it as far as readings go aka strips. Based on that lowered ph was 7.8, with borax, had no cya so added 4 lbs yesterday per panty hose 3ls dangled by return and 1lbs in skimmer.. was definatley sweating it while on here reading n reading and comparing lol. But pool is clearing up great. Now to vacum? Been brushing n brushing. Still have rough scale on sides of pool that is slowly melting(?) away. Also bottom of liner has nice dark leaf pattern marks. I know its hard to say with what im giving you to work with as far as my kit not here yet. But any help, pointers, advise, experiences is greatly appreciated.
Also just to clarify per what i understand. I am just a bit over my fc for my fc/cya ratio to shock.... after i pass then i mustard algea shock? Do i have to? Should i?

- - - Updated - - -

Fc 17
Tc 17
Ph 7.1
Ch 401
Ta 94
Copper 0
Iron 0
Also just to clarify per what i understand. I am just a bit over my fc for my fc/cya ratio to shock.... after i pass then i mustard algea shock? Do i have to? Should i?

Hi again, is this correct?... four pounds of granular stabilizer has been added?
That is very close to 30 PPM CYA, so that number is ready for the SLAM and the shock level for the SLAM will be 12 PPM FC

How many pucks did you dissolve into the pool?
Did your test kit arrive?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support