Question For Those on BBB Method With Normal Pools

JIMNSC

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
Facts: You use the BBB method and your pool is stabilized (no way out test numbers). You have to add bleach on an on-going basis to maintain FC where you'd like it to be.

Questions: Total gallons of your pool = ?
FC level you try to maintain = ?
Amount of bleach you add each time (on average) = ?
How often = ?
Estimated gallons/week = ?

I know that sounds nosey and no two pools are the same; however, I want to get a picture in my mind of the amount of bleach you add per week per gallon of water. It'll help me do a little calculatiing and planning ahead.

Many thanks - Jim

21,200 gallons
CYA = 25 ppm.
FC = 3 ppm.

I add .75 gal of 6% ultra bleach nightly, which equates to 2.1 ppm in my pool. If FC starts to creep up, I skip a night. Conversely if FC starts to drop, I add two that night.

So far I have not had to shock my pool since I opened it in early May.

Chlorine usage varies from day to day based on how much the pool is used, how much direct sunlight it gets, how much polen and other organic debris falls into the pool, the water temperature, your CYA level, the size of the pool, etc.

I have a 20K gallon pool and this week I am using six cups of 6% bleach a day. A few weeks ago it was three cups a day. We are expecting a heat wave and a pool party, so it might go up to ten or twelve cups, or more, that day. (Actually I have a SWG, but I know the conversion factor for my particular unit.)

21,000 Gallons
CYA 35
Full sun, covered all night, open all day (due to dogs until we get the new fence up)
About a third of a jug of 6% every night, and maybe a half jug every third night would be typical. ~2.5 jugs a week.
Shoot for 3ppm FC

15,000 gallons
CYA = 40
90% of the time my pool is in full sun - In the morning it get's partial shade for a little while.
FC between 3 & 5
Since it's been over 110 degrees F all this past week, I'm still only having to throw in half of a 3/4 gallon jug of regular strength Chlorox (Safeway brand really) every couple of days. Can you tell, I really don't measure that accurately?

Right now, I'm using the store bleach which mine is 6%, because I got a great sale on it in the 3/4 gallon jugs. So I bought 30 jugs. I usually find better deals on the 12% from my local pool store which would be less needed in volume since it's twice as strong.

JasonLion said:
Chlorine usage varies from day to day based on how much the pool is used, how much direct sunlight it gets, how much polen and other organic debris falls into the pool, the water temperature, your CYA level, the size of the pool, etc.

I have a 20K gallon pool and this week I am using six cups of 6% bleach a day. A few weeks ago it was three cups a day. We are expecting a heat wave and a pool party, so it might go up to ten or twelve cups, or more, that day. (Actually I have a SWG, but I know the conversion factor for my particular unit.)

Jason, you had me scratching my head for a minute there. :roll:

16,000 gallon pool. Automatic opaque safety cover in place when pool not in use. Chlorine usage per day 0.5 - 0.8 FC depending on usage (high end is with pool used 6 days/week; low end if pool used 2-3 times/week). FC level at 3 - 6 ppm adding chlorine twice per week (about 6 cups 12.5% chlorinating liquid or 3 ppm FC worth during heavy usage; about 4 cups 12.5% chlorinating liquid or 2 ppm FC during lighter usage). Pool in 50-75% sun when cover is open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks - that's what I thought - different strokes for different folks. :)

Well, since you guys have such "ordinarily normal pools," would you please feel sorry for me this morning as I'm going to add 2.4 gallons of 6% to raise my FC from 4.0 to 15.0 (Pool Calculator). We had a terrific rain overnight and the FC really fell. Additionally, I'm only treating 13,230 gallons.

A moment of silence for the novice pool guy in S.C. with CYA of 150+ ............................. Thank you - Jim :cry:

JIMNSC said:
Facts: You use the BBB method and your pool is stabilized (no way out test numbers). You have to add bleach on an on-going basis to maintain FC where you'd like it to be.

Questions: Total gallons of your pool = ?
FC level you try to maintain = ?
Amount of bleach you add each time (on average) = ?
How often = ?
Estimated gallons/week = ?

I know that sounds nosey and no two pools are the same; however, I want to get a picture in my mind of the amount of bleach you add per week per gallon of water. It'll help me do a little calculatiing and planning ahead.

Many thanks - Jim

30,000 gallon in ground concrete pool
FC shoot for 1-2ppm maintain with Nature 2 system
60 oz bleach "Chlorox 6%" daily add ( 1ppm increase) each day. On a hot day, may go up 50%
pool sample daily and add chemicals at sunset
Pool in full sun all day-eastern PA

Mine drinks chlorine!!

Inground Vinyl Lined 20x40
Approx 25000 gals
No Swg or heater

Target FC in evening is 3 so I shoot for 7 on the evening chlorine addition
Next evening drops to 3-4 Depending on bather load and stuff blowing in
Add per day= 1 gal 46oz of 6%
CYA= 30
Ph= 7.5
Alk= 70

That is 1gal 46oz every day unless I shock then I can go about 2 days before I start adding again.
It has been this way for 2 years. I have full sun, lots of swimmers, and surrounded by trees.
I need a SWG but its just easier on the wallet to pay a little along and add chlorine. Besides if I had a SWG I'd probably get lazy on water testing.

Mine is an above ground 8000 gallon.

CYA=45
PH=7.4
TA=100

I put in around anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon of 6% every night. Plus or minus a little depending on what it will take to bring me back up to 6ppm.

Once my CC hits 0.5 i shock by putting in 2 gallons (maybe a little more depending on how much is left in other partially empty containers).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.