Lost in this pool stuff!! First timer here.

Someone please help! My pool went from cloudy water to green dirty algae water this week and I am not sure what we are doing wrong that our water does not stay crystal clear. This is our first year setting up a pool and it has been very overwhelming! I do not think I should be having to put this much stress or work into it or am I wrong? Our pool is a 18 foot by 4 feet deep Intex pool just to give you an idea what we're working with. I came to this site for help because it seems like the school of pools or pools for dummies (as I'd like to call myself this year lol) since I still can't figure anything out. I tried to use the pool calculator to see how much of what is needed to be added to our pool but I can't seem to figure that out either. Either I am doing something wrong or I am just very overwhelmed with it all. Any help to get me on track or our pool crystal clear would be greatly appreciated!

Editing to post results (hopefully I am doing this right) and my signature
FC 0
PH 8.4
TA 120
TH 100
CYA 30-50

Test done using a hth multi-purpose 6 way test strip. Also we haven't added anything to the pool in a few days but usually when we maintain it the water stays cloudy and not crystal clear. It quickly turned green with algae in a few days but it is usually a hasel to maintain it. What am I doing wrong?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Let's clear a few things up for you to help you get started:
- Accurate test results are absolutely essential. The test strips you are using will not help you in any way. Neither will that free pool store testing that always seems to cost you $100 every time you leave the store. Best thing to do is order either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. They are easy to use, will last most of the season if not more, and you will get accurate results. That's most important right now.
- Please visit the Pool School and other vital links you see below in my signature. You're not expected to memorize them, but at least have an understanding of where to go if you have a question.
- Water gets cloudy/algae when the FC and CYA are not balanced together as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). When that happens, you need to "SLAM" (also below). To perform a "SLAM" you need one of those test kits which is why they are so important to read FC at higher levels.

So your first step right now would be to order one of those kits. I recommend the TF-100 for its great value. You can also add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each evening (generic is fine), just make sure it's plain and not splashless or scented. Once you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, we can show you how to clear the water and keep it that way.

You're right, it should not be that difficult. Once we show you how to do it yourself, you'll see how simple it all really is.

Even for those gifted with exceptional color perception, those test strips are still worthless. My entire family agreed that the test strips showed our CYA was between 30-50. When the test kit came, imagine our surprise when our actual CYA was over 200!

Get some accurate test results and the wonderful people here will walk you through every step of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.