victorville ca
My readings

FC-0
CC-0
PH- 7.6
TA-90
CH- 120
CYA-0

I had been using pucks but after reading here I removed them and went to 8.25% bleach until my k-2006 arrived today. My water is the tiniest bit hazy compared to a week ago. No smell or sliminess.
When testing FC the water never turned pink. I then added R-003 and there was the very slightest pink coloration, almost unnoticeable. I used the 25ml sample for testing. I have no idea what the note in the instructions is referring to by the" Note: 1 drop=.2ppm use 25ml sample or with the 1 drop=.5ppm, use 10 ml sample." Perhaps I did or read the test wrong for FC and CC? So question is what next?

Like the note, we recommend using a 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD chlorine test, so each drop is then 0.5ppm ... that is plenty of precision and saves reagent.

How long as the pool been setup? How long had you been using tablets? It is surprising that your CYA is 0 ... so the dot never disappeared?

Pool has been up 6 days. I put 2 1inch pucks in on day 3 and added 2 more on day 4 when I tested (with a strip) and it said 0 FC and 30 CYA. On day 5 I found this site and promptly removed my pucks, did the chlorine calculation and added 8.25% bleach. I also ordered the K-2600 kit so I could accurately test before I added CYA. When it arrived today I tested immediately and the above results were read. I'm sorry for my ignorance in this but could you explain the difference between the drop being 0.5ppm and .2ppm. I do understand that it is parts per million but don't understand its relativity to how the test is read or the results interpreted.

With a new fill, using tablets is fine as you need to add CYA anyway.

Four 1" trichlor tablets would not have hardly added any CYA. So I would use PoolMath to determine how much stabilizer to add to get to 30ppm, get it dissolving in a sock and then maintain FC with bleach. At that point you could put some pucks in to slowly raise your CYA to closer to 50ppm if you want. Or just save them for vacation.

If you use 25ml of water, and it takes 4 drops to make the pink clear, then FC = 4 * 0.2ppm = 0.8ppm
If you use 10ml of water, and it takes 4 drops to make the pink clear, then FC = 4 * 0.5ppm = 2.0ppm

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Now that I know CYA is not high I'm off to purchase it. Thank you for the clarification on the ppm, I was so lost and intimidated by all the chemicals. I have been reading Pool school, ABC's and Rec. pool chems. Thank you for the Chlorination link as I had not yet seen it. I have also been using the poolmath link and think I finally have the directions down. This site has been awesome as have the very helpful people. Thank you for making this process a lot less daunting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.