StaRite Heater Question (SR2000NA)

May 24, 2009
I have a five year old SR2000NA in-ground natural gas heater that has performed brilliantly for the past four years. Unfortunately, this year when I opened the pool it will not operate. The display shows code "E01" and the SERVICE HEATER incicator is illuminated. I have searched everywhere and cannot find any reference to this specific code, so am hoping someone might have an idea of what it indicates. Any help you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Austin

Austin, welcome to TFP!!

You definitely want to get the lid off the heater! Probably 1/2 the problems we find with those units is... mice - they think the unit is a condo and love to chew on the wire casings. If you have mice, let me know and I'll tell you the various things we've tried over the years to stop them and the way we tried last year which actually seems to work :)

Well, just as you suggested, it appears that MICE spent a cozy Northeastern Winter living inside of the control panel for this pool heater. They have managed to gnaw thru a lot of the wires, so I will have to replace one of the harnesses (how difficult is it to replace the entire wiring harness? - the biggest one? ).

Is there any way to keep them out of the heater next winter?

Thank in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.

Austin

Austin, sorry I was right :evil:

Over the years, we have tried herbal and liquid deterrent, poison, mothballs (and castrating all those moths was tough :lol: ), taking the heaters inside for the winter, etc., ad nausium :!: The bottom line is that mice will go wherever they can despite deterrents if they NEED a place to live. Last year I finally hit on something that will stop them - steel wool. (I've heard 2 theories on why steel wool would work: 1) mice don't like the taste of blood and, in trying to chew through it, they cut their mouths 2) They eat the steel wool and cut their innards to pieces and die :twisted: )

Pack the holes that the wires feed through and any other cutout larger than 1/4" with steel wool (these little b*astards can get through a 1/4" opening) and tape up the blower air feed for the winter (you have to leave it open for the unit to operate, so untape it in the spring) - I did this to ~ 20 pools last winter and all of those we've opened so far have been mouse free :party: Don't worry about the casing itself, too many places to try to block, just worry about where the electronics are.

Now for a $ saving tip from Ted - You can wrap electrical tape where they chewed, as long as they didn't chew through the wire completely, and the heater should work again, no new harness required :-D

Ted,
Thank you ever so much! IT looks like they've done a substantial amount of damage to the wiring so I am not sure that electrical tape will suffice, though I will certainly give that a try. When I looked at the parts list, it didn't appear as though one can purchase the wiring harness, anyway. Have you ever replaced the wiring in one of these things? Seems like a formidable job!

Thank you again for your assistance and for the help in denying future residency to mice in forthcoming New England Winters.

Best regards,
Austin

I've replaced a few dozen of the harnesses, before I figured out I could save our customers $$ by simply using electrical tape to repair the damage. 8)

Most of the wires they chew are the low voltage wires so, even if a few strands of the wire are gone, you'll still be able to run the heater, once you wrap the tape around them to keep them from 'grounding out'

As for changing them, Sta- Rite made it easy, all the wires are color coded and they even printed a code on the ends so you know which is which (i.e. PS for the wires that go to the pressure switch).

Let me know which wires are chewed, I may be able to salvage a couple off of heaters we've removed - if nothing else, I can get you the part # for the wire harness kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just want to pass along my most sincere thanks. I spent several hours working on the heater yesterday and replaced a few wires in the low voltage section (soldered in new ones, using heat-shrink to cover/insulate the repair), and then simply wrapped many other wires that had been gnawed by the mice, with electrical tape. I was delighted to energize the heater and hear the comforting sound of the blower as it retured to life for another season! Your guidance was instrumental in effecting the repairs, Ted. Thanks ever so much for taking your valuable time to help me out. I hope there comes a time when I might be able to do something to repay you for your extreme kindness.

Best regards,
Austin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.