Finally Building - Manvel TX

Pwrgeek

Gold Supporter
Jun 23, 2016
Manvel TX
Well I've been lurking for about a year now. Thought I would be for a while longer, but we've had an unexpectedly good year with my business so now its time. We've been shopping pools for a while (we would just go see any house near us that was for sale and listed a pool in the description) to figure out what we would like. We already knew who our PB would be based on some very strong recommendations from a few friends who had gone with them so that was a foregone conclusion. I will say that thus far our experience with them has lived up to those expectations. So now for the fun part. First an overhead shot of what we have right now.

Re: Finally building

Nice homestead :) Welcome to TFP (coming out of lurkdom that is)

Tell us a little about your pool-to-be? Shape? Size? Equipment?

We'd also love lots of pics during construction and we'll help ya spend your hard earned dollars too if you need suggestions. :viking:

Yippee :flower:

I would reverse the slide so that it discharges into a deeper end of the pool away from those steps.

I'd make the pool as deep as possible in that end so that it doesn't end up feeling like swampy bath water in August, which shallower pools can. Also more fun diving!!

I'd make sure there was enough length for laps not to be awkward, and an area on the steps end that can be large enough for a volleyball net or some games.

So here was our revised design after what the PB initially proposed. He came in well under our budget (contracting 101 don't tell the contractor how much you have to spend if you do I promise you he'll spend all of it if not a bit more) so we were able to expand the pool a good bit. We cheated the slide a bit to the deep end (as someone suggested here) so that the mouth of the slide is in a bit deeper water. Also we went to 8' depth in the deep end. We didn't reverse the slide because we are planning to have them form an area on the stair side of the waterfall into a jump rock (though they can't call it that for insurance reasons) and we wanted this to be in the deepest section of the pool.

At this point we completed the last revision. We added a spa. We had originally decided not to, but after talking with a couple of friends about how useful they are with keeping small kids contained when there is only one adult (we have a four year old and an eighteen month old) plus the additional winter use we decided to use the rest of the extra money in our budget for that (the alternative was a swim jet, but given that neither of us are competition swimmers we decided that the pool was big enough for us to do laps if we wanted). All contracts are signed and that brings us to today. It has been an exciting and scary last month or so, but I can't wait. The PB has promised to have us swimming by the 1st of Sept which seems like a long time to me but I'd rather have him be pessimistic and be pleasantly surprised, than optimistic and be disappointed. On a fun note they painted our pool out today. On a sad note we're going to lose another tree that I thought was just going to squeeze out of the way (turns out my measurements were using the wrong point on the house as a base and its in the middle of our spa).

I thought the last one from the interior of our house was really neat. He captured the windows and door just like they are in real life so it gives us a good idea of what it's going to look like out our living room window.

So final dimensions and equipment

Pool:
Dimensions: 47' X 32'
Surface Area: 1062
Perimeter: 138
2 skimmers
1 main drain
6 return lines
2 bubblers
Auto fill
21' X 12' X 6'6" rock grotto with 15' slide and waterfall
1 X 9' Bench
1 X 6' Bench
1 X 16' Bench
12' X 9" Tanning Ledge
Plaster: Primera Aqua Blue w/ Abalone Shells
Coping: ??? (The wife really needs to make up her mind on this. She's seeing some more pools this week)
Lights: 5 LED

Spa (don't know much about this yet for sure because they are still finalizing the design details on it. Will edit this post to keep you guys up with the details)
8' diameter
Raised 18" above the pool
Flat spillway

Equipment Pad
PB uses all Jandy equipment
Main pump: 2hp VS Flo Pro
Water Feature / Spa pump: 2hp VS Flo Pro
Filter: Jandy CV 580
Heater: Jandy JXI400NK
Chlorinator: Rainbow (yes I know not to use this but it was free, besides taking it out will give me a place to plumb in a salt cell if I ever go that way).
Sanitizer: Solar Eclipse Ozone/UV
Automation: iAqualink
Robot Cleaner: Polaris 9350

Let me know if you guys see anything really stupid. I know most here are not fans of the Ozone/UV systems preferring salt. We'll see how it works.

You need to decide how you are going to sanitize your pool, salt or liquid chlorine. You don't need the UV because the sun will give you everything you need. Ditch that system and either use a SWCG or you can install a Stenner pump for chlorine.

You should also consider getting a robot for cleaning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Skip the Ozone/UV.... you get *plenty* of UV in Texas free of charge from the sun. The ozone is pretty worthless in a big pool as you still need to chlorinate it so why pay for the device??

Can you have the PB put the SWG in in place of that UV/ozone thingie?

We are going to start with liquid chlorine applied by hand. I know I'm asking for chores here, but I'm just not prepared for a salt system or automatic liquid dispenser until I get the chemistry to where I understand it well. Also with the waterfall the PB stated that we will have problems if we ever do go to a salt system (though he seems pretty anti salt in general). It is my understanding that the ozone system will reduce the amount of chlorine consumed (though I do now understand that it will not reduce the level I need to maintain). I'd be happy to be corrected here by someone who knows more than I do about it. It's one of those things we got sold before I really researched it and knew better. I'm leaving it for now because I want to understand it before I make a formal change. I have months before the equipment will be in place so I have time to make a final decision.

- - - Updated - - -

You should also consider getting a robot for cleaning.

PB is including a Polaris 9350 forgot to put it in my earlier post. I'll edit it in.

Looks like an awesome pool!

I'd ditch the UV/ozone as well. Those features are only useful for indoor pools where the sun isn't there to quickly oxidize CC as they form in the pool. Even if you don't use the SWG right away, it might be easier to have it as part of the install, integrated with any automation your might have in mind for the equipment such as timers, valve control, etc. In a pool that large, it would be a lot of liquid chlorine on a daily basis. If you get an SWG, get the absolute largest that you can. 2 lbs per day production for sure.

Yep, with the size of our yard plus the fact that the acreage behind us is visually included when you look out the back windows of our house we didn't want it to look like someone had just put a kiddie pool in the ground. It had to be proportional.

In a fun note look what showed up today. It's getting real

148ddbff973b3f1583e2416b9532e373.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like an awesome pool!

I'd ditch the UV/ozone as well. Those features are only useful for indoor pools where the sun isn't there to quickly oxidize CC as they form in the pool. Even if you don't use the SWG right away, it might be easier to have it as part of the install, integrated with any automation your might have in mind for the equipment such as timers, valve control, etc. In a pool that large, it would be a lot of liquid chlorine on a daily basis. If you get an SWG, get the absolute largest that you can. 2 lbs per day production for sure.

Called the PB and ditched the Ozone system. Considering the large tree stump they're going to have to remove (having my own tree guy cut it down) I'm probably at a wash. I'm eventually planning a Stenner pump when I get the chemistry understood and stable, but for now I need the hands on practice. I will say that I haven't been this deep into chemistry since high school so that could take a bit. I will also say that I'm surprised that there isn't a handheld digital test system that works well out there with all the technology today. Someone should build one, they'd make a mint. In the meantime ordering a TF-100 today. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about with our backyard. In the corner you can see our previous pool. I hope my kids like the upgrade.

I think you're imagining the chemistry to be harder than it is. Honest! With simple drop and count tests, and the help of PoolMath you'll have it figured out in no time. One advantage you're having is that you're starting off on the right foot from the git-go. You're not coming to us with a problem filled pool.... that does get a bit more complicated.

You'll do fine, I promise!

Yip :flower:

I know you said you didn't want to do SWCG until you had the chems figured out, but salt isn't added until 28 days after start up so that gives you lots of time to figure it out! Just something to consider. And as Yippy said, you're thinking it's harder than it really is. I'm not a science-y person at all, but with the TF-100 test kit, it's super easy!

I know you said you didn't want to do SWCG until you had the chems figured out, but salt isn't added until 28 days after start up so that gives you lots of time to figure it out! Just something to consider. And as Yippy said, you're thinking it's harder than it really is. I'm not a science-y person at all, but with the TF-100 test kit, it's super easy!

Thanks for the advice. Given the proximity to the house I'm pretty adamant about no salt. I'm planning to do a Stenner system as I get a handle on the daily dosing. Ordered the TF-100 last night and planning to borrow some water from the kids swimming class to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.