Salt level keeps rising, help!

Ok so some results here but I'm not sure if I did the test right, but at least I hope I did it wrong consistently :)

Pool - Tested 10mL twice and both times got 24 drops to reach a pink/salmon mixture. 24*200=4800 which is 1000 higher than my SWG (did I do it wrong?)

Front spigot- 25mL (there is no 20mL so I did 25) 11 drops to pink/salmon

Back yard Spigot- 25mL - 13 drops to pink/salmon

Kitchen sink - 25mL - 15 drops to pink/salmon

I don't know which if any are not being supplied by the softener. My best guess was the one in the front yard is not because it is outside of the house prior to the softener. As for the spigot in the back yard, I have no idea. I was hoping the Taylor test kit would help me figure that out.

The intellichem does its own Saturation index calculation and the only value I have had to input manually was the CYA levels. I referred to the manual and it said that it will pre-populate the values with its measurements. I will read it again to make sure I did not miss something. As for the acid being dosed, I believe it doses no matter what the rest of the values are. I do know the intellichem will stop the chlorinator from producing chlorine if the ph goes above 7.8 which I believe it refers to as being in PH Lockout.

I just re-read the manual and durp, I read it wrong, it only pre-populates the Salt, PH, and Temperature. So the CH of 250 it is showing might have been put there by the PB when they set it up. I have some strips that I picked up early on, they say they do test for the following: TH, TC, FC, ph, TA, and CYA. I will give them a go and see what the results look like.

I figured as much. If the unit could test CH levels, it would probably be much more expensive.

I have the IPH and I know for certain the pump cuts off if the salt level is above 4200ppm. I don't know why the Intellichem wouldn't have this same safeguard.

I am going to go through the manual again to see if there is any type of lockout pertaining to the Salt Level. I went ahead and used a few of the test strips (working from home today) and the results are below:

TH: Between 250-500
TA: 90
CYA: Looks like 80, but I cant really tell

I might need to hit up my local pool store today for a better test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will pick one of those up as well, in the meantime I will visit the pool store to try to get a baseline, just need to convince the wife to let me buy another testing kit, lol.

As for the Taylor Salt kit, am I to stop adding drops when I see the drop change color or when the entire solution changes to the pink/salmon color?

While testing, when adding drops, I would notice the drop would hit the solution and it would be brown/red, but swirling the mixture it returned to white/yellow. Only after adding more drops did it completely turn the pink/salmon color. My question is, do I stop the drops when the first drop changes color or when the entire solution is pink/salmon? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to this stuff.

Ok, just got back from my friendly neighborhood pool store with fresh test results:
FC - 4
Salt - 3600
CH - 160
CYA - 70
TA - 100
PH - 7.6

I compared these results with the test results from last week from the same store. The salt reading at that time was 4000 and my SWG was 4200. This time they show 3600 and my SWG shows 3800 so that is pretty consistent. Another thing I noticed was that last week my CH was 150, this week its 160, if I used softened water to refill the pool after I did a partial drain, the hardness should not have increased, correct?

The hardness could have increased without question. I find that calcium level very hard to believe given your location.

You need to get your own test kit. It's no secret how this forum feels about the reliability of pool store testing.

I agree with you on the CH, not sure how it could be that low considering I live in AZ and hard water is definitely an issue out here. I am going to try to convince my wife to let me drop $100 on the TF-100 kit with speed stir, but for now I will need to use the strips I already have. I appreciate all the replies and I know I've said this several times, but my pool was built/filled in April and I am very new to all of this. This forum is awesome!

You should "use" the strips all at once ... right into the trash can. Or "accidentally" spill them into the pool.

Rather than use the test strips, you would almost be better off sticking your finger in the pool and tasting it and guessing at the numbers. At least then you would realize the numbers are a guess, unlike the bogus sense of legitimacy that the strips provide.

Ok, got my test kit and my CH is 160 (sill think my softener is running to the spigot that initially filled the pool and the autofill), how bad is that for my Pebble Tec and should I be worried that its been that low since the pool was built in April?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.