Polaris pump died

Sep 17, 2013
Been having some issues with my Polaris 280, wheels falling off, stripped screw holes, ect. A buddy gave me his old one and I was able to fix those issues but I'm sure it's just a bandaid. The hose also needs replacing as it's constantly tangled.

However, last week the pump died.

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to just get a new pump and hose.....and then hope the Polaris doesn't bite the bullet or go the robotic route.

I'm new to the robotic scene, so I'm turning to y'all to help point me in the right direction.

First, what would you do? Fix or go robotic?

Second....I was hoping to not spend more than $700 on a robotic but that seems tough, especially when I don't know good from bad models.

Really appreciate any help!

Dolphin and Aquabot have pretty good reputations in robots. Check out the Dolphin Nautilus and other similarly priced robots from them. The Aquabot Breeze models might be in your price range too.

I don't have any of these, see sig, but I would be getting a top loading style of filter in my next robot.

With a robot, you have the hassle of a power supply and a bit more work cleaning the filters, but your pump doesn't have to run and even my old crusty TS does a good job on my pool. Have only had to replace wheel bearings and the cartridges in the last 3 years. The bearings were because my robot and floating pool thermometer got into a duel and the robot lost when the thermometer got wedged between the roller and the body.

Should have a couple reviews of the New Doheny Discovery in the next week or so. This model is Doheny branded equivalent to the Maytronics Dolphin S 200. It still carries the Dolphin 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and is serviced through Maytronics. Right now it can be purchased under $700.00.

Thanks for the replies, I had actually been looking at the dolphin nautilus already. Wasn't sure if aquabot was any good or not.

I've actually got a wholesale account at the local pool distributor, so basically if they carry it, I can buy stuff at "wholesale" or the same price as poolzoom

I've already gone a week without s cleaner, so I need to do something soon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.