Hello! Another NEWB from MO

Hello everyone,
As stated, I am a complete pool newbie. This is my first pool. The pool is an intex 16ftx48in pro series. I bought it from a friend a few years ago, and decided FINALLY that it was time to put it up. I knew from the start that the itty bitty pump and filter weren't going to cut it. For me anyway...... So I purchased a Hayward 20" sand filter with vari-flow 7 way valve, and 1.5 HP pentair pump. I put brand new pool filter sand in it, so all together I have like $65 in that. I also purchased a Hayward dyna skim 1091lx and an extra Hayward return and collar. I hard plumbed the skimmer and both returns with 1.5" sch 40 (for pressure) and also installed a ball valve on the intake and both returns. Also added a home made pool cooler/fountain from 1" PVC. Also on a ball valve.

Now that I've gone through that, today at 6:00 pm will mark 24 hours that I've had the pool fully filled, plumbed, and running. I shocked the pool last night, and tested the water this morning. My chlorine levels are a bit low, so I intend to add bleach. My ISSUES are..... The alkalinity and pH levels are off the charts high, hardness is high, and cya is low. I am using the crappy test strips. I didn't know about the tf100 until signing up to the forums. I would like to get one, but I don't know where to buy it. I also have a little bit of junk in the bottom of the pool, as I have no vacuum yet. I don't necessarily need an automatic vac. Any recommendation for a vacuum? I have less than $250 in my entire setup so far, but would hate to touch it, or do something wrong to mess anything up. The water is very clear. I'd like to keep it that way, but get my levels just right. Before I touch it, I am hoping for some guidance. Sorry for the long post. Just know that any and all help is greatly appreciated!

-David

Hi David and welcome to TFP! :wave: You can get the TF-100 at the link below in my sig. I would also recommend the XL Option if your water is cloudy, and definitely get the "Speed Stir". You'll thank us later. Once you get it, post a full set of results and we'll be glad to point you in the right direction. Nice to have you with us.

Lol! Thank you.....
Oh ya know...... I just put on my gliding suit and have some fun with it. :super:
The deck is 12' up, and suspended concrete. The basement is a finished rec/bar area and we use it to entertain. I figured putting the pool below would keep my 4 year old from just running out to the pool and hopping in. That, and I didn't know if the pool and pump/filter system was going to be any good, or if the plumbing I did would leak like crazy, etc etc. No problems fortunately thus far. Except the water isn't balanced. YET

Welcome from another MO TFP forum junkie.

I am really liking the hard plumbing you did. My wife said the money pool was off limits to the checking account for now, so that will probably come later on or maybe next year when we open it up. I probably didn't get quite as good a deal from Walmart as you did from your friend. We are about 2/3rds full of water but so far chemistry is good after getting advice from the folks on here.

TF 100 test kit is great, but I had to pick up a larger plastic Stackon box from the clearance aisle at Lowes to fit the Salt kit, Bromine test strips, and automatic stirrer. Well worth the money though. Enjoy the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.