What kind of decking do you have? How do you like it?

PureLuck

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We bought our house with this large composite deck. It gets soo hot.. and it is bland. We are replacing it this summer.
With so many options, I am hoping you can share what kind of deck you have, and what you like/dislike about it.
We want low maintenance, would love it to be cool on the feet, not killing us as we walk in the house.
Thanks for sharing in advance.
We are in New England so we have winter to consider as well.
Anyone have bamboo composite? Azek?

Attachments

• 1466694645924-1923839182.jpg
    1466694645924-1923839182.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 560
We have Choicedek from Lowes, harvest brown. It is pretty nice. Nice and smooth and not terribly hot in full sun and not hot at all otherwise. Good stuff.

My house came with a TREX deck in light brown/gray.

WAY too hot to walk on in full sun....it looks great except for the cracking/splitting in some places. Beware that a lot of TREX owners have been disappointed to get
the run around from that company when they want it repaired.

If I had to do it over I'd go with a lighter Timber Tech composite just on better warranty support alone.

we put a new deck in this year when we put in the pool and used Fibron and quite honestly I wouldn't recommend it. It chips super easy. We had a gray trex deck before and it was very durable. Both decks get too hot for your feet in the sun I would think they all do but that's what flip flops and umbrellas are for :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have concrete pavers: Pros: The look awesome, They hide rust stains if pool chairs rust assuming you get darker colored pavers, They can be removed and replaced if you have plumbing problems.
Cons: The are hot, hot, hot, you have to spray for weeds and ants making their home in the joints.

Pro or Con?? You can lay them yourself, If a tornado blows you house down you could take your pavers with you if you decide not to re-build.

Has anyone with a Real Wood or Concrete pool deck tried this product? Wood Deck Resurfacing | Wood Deck Coatings | Encore Coatings

Seems like you have to buy a gallon of paint in the color you like but product has a lifetime warranty. I was going to go the Rustoleum 10x route but in my searching I found this product. They also have a Cool deck product for concrete. Thoughts?

This is what I used and we absolutely love it. Bare concrete where I live can get Molten hot, this stuff cools it down enough for bare feet. It is worth every penny, and you get to choose any color you want!

PD1.jpg

PD2.jpg

PD3.jpg

It's funny, our last house, we put in Lowe's brand grey color composite.. it was so hot! We hated it. It did look nice, but no bare feet. This deck we have here is so old that the Trex warranty isn't valid.. and it is crumbly.

We also have a Kool Deck product over concrete. Here in Central Florida it gets HOT and the pool deck stays cool. Our PB subbed out the application though and it's already chipping in several places. We will have to redo it next summer but as we don't have a lot of pool deck it's not a big deal and we'll make sure to put down a nice thick coat.

Image-1.jpg

We also have a Kool Deck product over concrete. Here in Central Florida it gets HOT and the pool deck stays cool. Our PB subbed out the application though and it's already chipping in several places. We will have to redo it next summer but as we don't have a lot of pool deck it's not a big deal and we'll make sure to put down a nice thick coat.

View attachment 50873

We JUST went thru with the same issue, but got it FOC under warranty. They removed ALL of the failing coating and re-sprayed the coating and so far so good, let's see if it holds up for more than a year this time!
(This is when they started stripping the failing coating)
20160526_112717-M.jpg

20160526_112732-M.jpg

We had a beautiful nice paver patio around our pool, but wow, those suckers get blazing hot. cant walk at all on them. Moved and the new house has a big concrete patio with a cool deck. As nice as the pavers look, I will NEVER have a patio that is not cool deck. I almost laugh at anyone that has a deck that is not cool deck. Those massive patios with multiple levels that cost $100,000, um, I get out of your pool and cant walk anywhere!! I can walk on my patio, in 100 degree weather, barefoot, without a care. We will probably redo ours soon, stamped colored cool deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.