Help understanding test results from k-2006

Jun 20, 2016
Rehoboth, MA
Hello! Pool very cloudy - Finally bought the good test kit - but it seems like my numbers are way off. The numbers seem so far off that you'd think I'm testing wrong - but some tests I did twice - and I think I did them correctly.

FC - 36.5
CC - 1.5
PH - 8
ALK - ?? couldn't get the test water to turn red - added 70 drops at 10ml test line
CH - 160
CYA - below 30 - (I could still see dot when filled)

Thanks!:)

Let's see if we can help ..
FC - Use the 10 ml sample, add ONE heaping scoop of powder, mix (now pink), and count drops until clear - divide by 2. Example: 40 drops = FC of 20.
pH - Not testing accurately when FC is over 10. Ignore for now.
TA - You should be using a 25 ml water sample, two drops of #7, five drops of #8 (green), then count the #9 drops until it turns Barbie pink.
CYA - Still see the black dot means CYA (stabilizer) is too low. I would add at least 20 ppm-worth of stabilizer to see if that gets you closer to 30.
CH - We'll worry about that after the SLAM

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks Pat!!

Yes, I tested the FC twice. The first time I used the 25ml line, but it wasn't clearing up after 70 drops. So I used the 10ml line, and it took 73 drops to get clear.

For the TA - I first used the 25ml line - but after 40 drops it was not turning red. So based on the directions - if I'm anticipating a high TA - I started again with the 10ml line. Then I put 70 drops in and it was still not turning red. At 70 (x25) my TA would be 1750. But it must be higher than that.

I will get some stabilizer to bring the CYA up closer to 30.

Not sure what to do about the FC and TA readings however...

Okay, well, then I would let the sun do its thing on your FC to bring it back down to earth. :) Once you get your CYA adjusted to 30, your SLAM FC level is only 12, so you know it can drop that far. Might take a couple days though. If you are really curious about the FC later today, you can do a rough test by using the 5 ml line (each drop is one FC). It's not as accurate as the 10ml, but may help just so you know if you're getting close to 12 before wasting any more drops.

Not sure if the extremely high FC is skewing your TA testing, so we better wait on that one. We'll still focus on the SLAM first (CYA to 30, then FC to 12), get the water clear, then we can work on adjusting everything else later.

So, don't mean to butt in, but what are you trying to do? Are you SLAMming the pool? Have you read the SLAM article? We'll help you get that pool crystal clear if you stay out of the pool store and follow that SLAM article to an absolute T. Let us know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is information I used from another member when I was dealing with problems testing TA with a really high (31) FC:

The TA test is off because your FC is so high. What color was it when you added the green solution? I suspect a shade of blue, greenish blue - count the drops till you get a color change - to yellow or orangish yellow and that's your TA. Add a couple more drops of the neutralizer (the first step of the test) to see if that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.