New Pool - Southern New Jersey

Jun 23, 2016
Millville, NJ
Good Morning Everyone,

I just came across this forum late last night. I signed the contract and put the initial deposit down on our new pool yesterday morning and am now doing what I do - over research pool ownership to death and I found this forum. It's kind of exciting, but worrisome at the same time! And, I am of the generation that want it in this weekend and have to wait until mid to end of August to swim.

Here is the pool design. It will have a raised beam between the pool and spa level of 23-30" because of a slope in my backyard. The pool will be 18.5' x 42' (777 square feet) and will have a 40 square foot spa with 6 hydro jets.

20160622_-_Pool_Design.jpg

Equipment:

Pump - Hayward 2hp Tristar
Filter - Cartridge 450 Foot Commercial-rated
Heater - Hayward Universal H-Series ASME Natural Gas 400k BTU
Salt Water System - Hayward Aqua Rite
Pool Cleaner - Hayward Phantom
Lighting - 2 ColorLogic lights in pool and 1 in Spa
Automation - Hayward ProLogic
Air Blower for Spa Jets
2 Deck Jets from upper deck into the pool
Pre-plumbed for spa

Considerations:

We are thinking about adding a tanning ledge to the design, but are not sure where to place it in the pool. Given the shape and design of the pool, I'm thinking it should be where the steps are with smaller steps leading down into the pool to keep it symmetrical. The pool builder recommended taking over the lower right corner for it to maintain a swim lane but that throws off the symmetry. Any thoughts on that? Also, any recommendation on the size of the tanning ledge. I was thinking 5-7' by 8'.

Wow! That looks beautiful. The wait is going to be very exciting. And I can TOTALLY sympathize with this statement:
am now doing what I do - over research pool ownership to death and I found this forum.

Some call it OCD. I like to consider myself a well informed customer. :)

Good luck with the build. Wish I could be of help with a tanning ledge opinion. I'll leave it to members who have one. Keep us updated on the progress. PICS!!! Need Pics along the way.

Welcome to TFP! I'm so glad you found us. You will love it here. Hopefully you'll check out Pool School and especially this page first and foremost...http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry regarding pool chemistry. You can and should maintain your pool yourself. It's easy!

This is a small thing but I don't have it and it would be an extra cool thing to have. Since you are getting three ColorLogic lights and ProLogic automation (the two requirements), I would also get the Color Logic Network Module. You can use the lights without it and they are cool looking no doubt. You can cycle through the colors and light shows using the "power cycling" method. Which means you press the light button on, then off and on in quick succession to move to the sequentially next color or show. But what the Network Module allows you to do is control everything 100% independently and with timing and movement, etc., the way they were 'really' designed to be used to show off their potential.

Here is the brochure for it. It plugs in to the lower left side of your ProLogic automation electrical panel into a slot that already has a plastic insert just waiting to be removed and replaced with this module. https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProLogicTotalPoolManagementAQL-COLOR-MODHV.pdf

The cost online is about $230. If money is not a big object, get a third LED light (two is good, three would be awesome for that pool size) then the movement aspect of the module would be killer!

Other thoughts, make sure the pump is at least a 2-speed (for energy savings) or consider a VS pump. Others can chime in on whether a VS pump would be beneficial with your spa.

The salt cell must be the T-15 for your size pool (the largest cell Hayward sells for that). It will be perfect for you.

Strongly encourage you to go with a robot cleaner versus a pressure side cleaner like the Phantom. I'm sure the Phantom is all that and a bag of chips, but robots have several advantages. Easier deployment (plug in and drop in), no separate booster pump needed (lower electricity usage), you don't have to get wet plugging in the water line each time, etc.) Robots are becoming quite popular. Wish I had one instead.

What type of pool finish are you going with (plaster, quartz, pebble, etc.)?

I've seen mentioned frequently here that spa blowers are unnecessary if the spa is plumbed correctly. Others can address this further if you are interested.

I don't have any particular thoughts on your ledge question but folks here love design that stuff for posters. Maybe they will chime in with some drawings for you.

Good luck!

We'd also love to see before pics of your backyard. I can tell you from experience, the more pics you post, the more interest your post/questions will garner. It's kind of our payment (aside from donations of course)...CLICK-HERE-to-Become-a-TroubleFreePool-com-Supporter! Shameless I am.

I hope your spouse won't miss the time you used to spend with them before finding TFP!

Thank you for the welcome and for the ideas! I will definitely check out the module.

Here are some pictures of my backyard as it is as of 2 minutes ago.

41afc5b6e86d849011cf1c4081c4c625.jpg

cd0f41419c83774f28858dfc3d1da403.jpg
a15d278dee60036fc3ae437e749f2d92.jpg
20fc558bd6d99f67314a6d2924f880dd.jpg
e34279df9f0452f538c99691b6ba60b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP- your new addiction! What a great design and amazing yard for a pool! That's going to be gorgeous!
You got great feedback from bmoreswim, we made many of the changes suggested here. We aren't finished with our build yet, so I have no personal experience to offer, but I love seeing the builds and cheering on others.

As to your tanning ledge and symmetry, if you put one with a couple of bubblers opposite the spa, it would retain your symmetry. Just an idea :)
Looking forward to seeing more!

- - - Updated - - -

I hope your spouse won't miss the time you used to spend with them before finding TFP!

I had to laugh at this- it is SO TRUE!
Hubby-"Are you on your pool site again?"
Me-"Umm, yeah, just gotta respond to this post real quick..." Lol!

Welcome to TFP.

My pool under construction is same Roman shape as your designs. I don't have a Spa but have put the steps in the center with two small tanning ledges on the sides. You may get some ideas from this. See my Build thread: link in signature below.

Happy planning & design.

Thanks,

I actually came across your thread while browsing. Just as a frame of reference, what are the dimensions of your two tanning ledges? Actually, your tile is similar to what we were looking at as well.

Eric

Welcome to TFP.

My pool under construction is same Roman shape as your designs. I don't have a Spa but have put the steps in the center with two small tanning ledges on the sides. You may get some ideas from this. See my Build thread: link in signature below.

Happy planning & design.

I would put the tanning ledge opposite the Spa (where I am guessing more of your guests will be)but what about having it come out into the deck instead of having it go into the pool. In other words, instead of taking up space in the pool you would be expanding the pool to include the tanning ledge. If the tanning ledge is in the middle your steps may not get as much use as people may just use the ledge to get in and out.

I dont agree about the robot - I think a pressure side cleaner is more convenient. It stays in the pool and you generally don't have to worry about taking it out. And you don't have to run an annoying electric cord over your deck every time you want to use it. Some people with robots use caddys to bring it to and from the pool. Seems like a pain to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
By the way, if you take my suggestion about the sun deck, consider moving your steps to the left and put them on the corner. That way you will have a longer distance to swim laps and you can put a basketball hoop on the deck where the steps are now.

I'll have to ask the builder that one. I'm not sure what expanding the footprint and square footage of the pool would do to the cost. As it is, he's asking for $1k as an addendum after signing the contract. If I add another 50-100 square feet to the pool, I'm guessing he's going to want more than that, but there's really only one way to know for sure.

I'm not sold on the robots either. to me, they are akin to taking a toaster in the bathtub with me. I know they are probably safe, but that's one of my concerns.

Eric

Thanks,

I actually came across your thread while browsing. Just as a frame of reference, what are the dimensions of your two tanning ledges? Actually, your tile is similar to what we were looking at as well.

Eric

Space planned for the steps and the 2 tanning ledges was 5' x 15' It came out a few inches different. Each tanning ledge is approx. 5'x5' and the step area approx 5' wide. Actually came out a few inches more.
If you need a larger tanning ledge you can put one tanning ledge and the steps on the side. I was thinking of that but couldn't live with the steps and the rail I added not being centered.

I think tile was called AZ-606.

If you leave your cleaner in, then I'd agree about a pressure/suction. If you remove it like I do (used only occasionally and don't like the in-pool look) then a robot would be a better choice for me.

I like GG's thought on the ledge. My main opposition to ledges is the space they take up in the main body of water.

My PB was about $15 more a square foot (although a tanning ledge may have been more) and I think $20 more a square foot once I upgraded the pool to a more expensive Plaster (which he was charging $5 per square foot).

I have my Polaris clean everyday for three hours a day and just leave it in. If there are a lot of people coming over i take it out. It is very easy to take out. I just pull lightly on the cord attached to the pool and wherever the Polaris is, it just comes to me. Then I just unplug it from the pool. But if you are only going to clean occasionally a robot might be just as easy if it's easy to get out and maneuver away from the pool. And a robot may clean better. But I'm happy with the cleaning ability and convenience of the Polaris.

I couldn't decide between a shallow (10 1/2") ledge and a deep (18") ledge. So I did both, separated by steps. Sometimes when it is cooler out, you want to sit in the pool with your feet in the water but not your butt, like if you are wearing street clothes. Other times, when is is hot, hot, hot, you want your butt and a good portion of your body submerged. I bought a plastic adirondak chair and took depth measurements to confirm . . . by the way mine are both 7' x 7'.

A group of four around a small drink table is nice. If you wanted to squeeze i think you could fit two rows of three facing each other.

Go to Home Depot, grab a tape measure and head over to the chair section. Measure our an approximation of your area and start unstacking chairs and arranging them until its full. Then put the chairs and tape back and leave. No hassle, no investment. :)

I like your style. I measured it out in my family room.

A group of four around a small drink table is nice. If you wanted to squeeze i think you could fit two rows of three facing each other.

Go to Home Depot, grab a tape measure and head over to the chair section. Measure our an approximation of your area and start unstacking chairs and arranging them until its full. Then put the chairs and tape back and leave. No hassle, no investment. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.