Rough Spots (well all spots)

Butch

Jun 26, 2008
Hi, we're needing a little advice here.
While our pool has been open for a while this year, tonight was the first night we
got into the attached spa. (I'm typing from it now) :lol: As soon as we stepped in we noticed
the seat and the floor are very rough (uncomfortably). Everything was perfectly smooth last year
at closing. There seems to be some scaling in the shallow end (visibly) but everything else looks ok.
The spa is very rough as is the seat in the pool section, again this was smooth at closing.
We're using nothing but liquid bleach due to the high CYA level (100). Also the PH likes to go high
so I keep it in check with Muratic Acid. As of today the levels that I can remember were as follows.
CYA 100
PH 7.4 (added acid yesterday)
TC 10
TA 100

I'll retest everything tomorrow and post all results to aid in a diagnosis..
For the heck of it since we were sitting in it anyway we took a scotch brite pad to a small section
and it seemed to smooth it slightly. I'm very confused at this point, I make it a point to test regularly
and keep everything at the proper level. I'm starting to wonder if the PH going high like it does is or wasn't an
indication that this was going to happen. Then that brings me to my next question, how do we fix it?

As far as the pool specs go.
Big Rear concrete with attached spa.
Sand filter
1.5 HP Hayward pump
400 K Raypak propane heater
That's all I can remember I'll post all that in the morning too.
Thanks in advance, I'm thinking there's no easy way to smooth things out...

Butch

It certainly sounds like at some point a combination of CH, TA, and pH got too high and caused the calcium to prcipitate onto your walls. This wouldn't be an overnite condition but rather lang term....more like weeks.

In a pool, drain and professional acid wash is the typical cure. The spa may be small enough you feel like tackling it yourself.

I'm guessing this must have happened between pool closing last year and opening this year.
Would the fact the the PH likes to go high every few days be an indicator that this is/could be happening?
Also is there something not balanced someplace that is causing the PH raise issue?
Test as of today.
PH 7.4
TC 10
CC 0
TA 90
CH 280
CYA 90-100

33k plaster.
Taylor K-2006 test kit

Thanks so much for your assistance...

The most common causes of rising PH are fresh plaster (within the first year after it is applied) and high TA levels. Your TA isn't especially high, though it is high enough to cause some PH drift if you have a source of aeration (SWG, waterfall, fountain, etc).

No waterfall or fountain. I thought the normal range for TA was
between 80-120 or am I remembering something wrong..
I do have a question though, well two actually. The only difference
between the closing last year and previous years is when the pool light was
removed and anchored to the bottom instead of using the blue things with sand
the closer grabbed one of the bricks from my flower beds, wrapped it in blue foam
and sank that to anchor the light. Could the brick in the pool the entire off season
have jacked things up like that?
One more question. I just took a PH reading and it came in around 7.4. Well I was chilling on the
deck and let the sample sit. In three or 4 minutes it was reading between 7.8 -8.0. Is that normal when
a sample is left sitting?

Thanks again for everything.
Butch

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.