Still have copper issues...

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I thought the copper issue was behind me since I got it down to 0.2 but I guess thats still enough to cause tinted green hair. Lucky for my daughter its not very noticeable but I need to fix this issue. What does everyone recommend? I originally had over 2.0 when I first opened the pool. I can only assume it was from the previous owner using copper algaecide. I would rather not drain the pool again as it took me over a week to refill half the pool as I am on a well. I have not noticed any major staining in the pool other than a slight shade of tan on the steps but I figured that was from never being properly cleaned. I am open to all thoughts..

Consistent use of a metal sequestrant should work well enough. Then, as the season progresses, backwash frequently or do frequent small water drains to exchange pool water with fresh water. You can work out a schedule for that which doesn't stress your well's output too much. Then, when the season ends, cease using sequestrant and try to get a new metal reading. You'll need to wait for the sequestrant to break down from chlorine oxidation or else it will interfere with a metal test.

MetalMagic line OR Jack's Magic line. Both are used a lot here in TFP so your likely to get the most help if you use one of those.

I feel your pain...my daughter's hair would turn green all summer last year....this year has been much better. I'm not sure if that's due to the sequestrant I'm using, the amount of backwashing done last and this year, or a combo of both.

Last year I used Bioguard Pool Magnet Plus, Jack's Purple Stuff, Natural Chemistry Metal Free, and HTH Metal Control. HTH changed the name this year to Metal Stain and Defense and it's the only sequestrant I've used this year. Walmart carries it for around $13.

From what I've read on this great forum is that sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. Bioguard, Jacks, and HTH are all HEDP I believe.

Thanks! I will check those out that you listed. If I am understanding correctly, I will have to add this the entire season to keep the metal separated and over time it will hopefully be flushed out by water replacement?

It appears the WalMarts in my area do not carry this. I was hoping to be something local I could pick up. Guess I will have to go to Amazon...

Whats color is Jack's Magic is best for a vinyl pool with fiberglass steps?

Thanks! I will check those out that you listed. If I am understanding correctly, I will have to add this the entire season to keep the metal separated and over time it will hopefully be flushed out by water replacement?

It appears the WalMarts in my area do not carry this. I was hoping to be something local I could pick up. Guess I will have to go to Amazon...

If you are judging the inventory of your local walmart by their website, don't. Call the store or go look yourself. Walmart's inventory system is a joke at best. If they have pool stuff at your walmart, they probably have this.

Jacks Magic Blue stuff is good for copper and works with vinyl pools.

You need to add the startup dose at first and then keep up the maintenance dosing all season.

Replace as much of the water as you can with backwashing and splash out. Collect rain water if you can and use that too. Then, at the end of the season you can taper off the sequestrant and see what the tests results come out as. It is best if the place doing the test uses a total copper type metal test as that type of test destroys any residual sequestrant and measures the true copper content of your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will check Walmart in person and see. My local pool store only carries Natural Chemistry Metal Free. I purchased that thinking it would be good but now I have read it isnt the best. I will return it tomorrow. I will order the Jack's Magic if I cannot find the walmart stuff.

I wouldn't go too crazy trying to find the "best" stuff. As long as you get some HEDP based sequestrant into the water, you'll be fine. You're not dealing with a huge concentration of Cu as it seems to be more of a cosmetic issue with your daughters hair. Once you get some sequestrant in the water, you should see that effect lessen. Just in case, your daughter might want to rinse her hair with lemon juice when she gets out of the pool and then shower off immediately but use very little shampoo (none at all if possible). A swimming cap would help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone! Ordering the Jack's Magic today. Thanks for the link to the shampoo also, my daughter is 7, so the green highlight was cool to her at first. haha. You can only see it when the sun hits the right way. I just didnt feel good about buying the metal out and should have walked out when they said it was the same as Jack's Magic. I will also look for the cards to print out and start handing those out. Customers in the store looked totally lost and wondering around. So glad I found this site before I was suckered into the pool store ways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.