New to pool word. First fill numbers. Hellp appriceated.

Jun 20, 2016
Bedford, IN
Ok folks,
Newbie into the pool world. Have an Intex Easy Set 18ftx48in round. After filling it yesterday and adding chemicals last night here are my numbers this moring using the Taylor K-2006 testing kit. The pool is in full sun most of the day. So without any CYA I am worried about FC loss.

FC 7.5
PH 7.6
TA 170
CC .5
CYA 0

I have on hand Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, and Dichlor (as my stabilizer???) Pool Math shows that I need to add 3.5 oz of Muratic Acid and 30oz of Stabilizer.

Two questions that I have.... 1. Can I use Dichlor as my stabilizer? 2. Should I wait to add the MA until after I get the CYA up to 40 or so?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

PH at 7.6 is perfect, no MA needed

Yes, it is fine to use dichlor to raise FC and CYA. It will just take longer so be sure to check FC later in the day to make sure it stays above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

you can use the dichlor to bring the CYA up, it is slower than using 100% CYA but it will do the following

Add free chlorine
add CYA
drop PH

6 ounces of dichlor for 7600 gal pool will

raise your FC 3.3
add 3 CYA
drop PH 0.12

Your FC will go very fast at first until your CYA gets at about 30

Once your CYA is at 30 start using bleach instead :)

congrats on the new pool and test kit, great job :)

Thanks for the information. The kids have been in the pool today. No complaints about the water. The last 8 tested FC was high at 13.5 and CYA was starting cloud up on the tester. Not quite where it needs to be. I will test again be for i turn in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.