Overfilled pool-consequences?

melbajr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2013
Florence, SC
I was adding water to my pool due to normal evaporation but I forgot about it and overfilled it, again.:oops: I know I need to backwash as I always have but what a waste of water! What are the consequences of having too much water in the pool? I ask because I have a pond that I'm in the process of cleaning and would like to siphon water from pool to refill the pond this weekend. What do y'all think?
I should add that we are not in a water conservation area but we are on city water so it's still money down the drain. On the other hand, I normally fill the pond with well water. I don't use well water for the pool because of the hardness.

The extra water shouldn't throw off your chemistry calculations by all that much. When everyone's playing in the pool and it's too high, water sloshes out through the hole in our skimmer lid. That's about all I can think of.

wait, won't overflowing an in ground vinyl liner pool put you at risk of a floating liner? Or at least wrinkles? I set timers and do everything I can to avoid overflowing in my in ground vinyl liner pool due to this. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Our pool was built by the previous owner of my house in 2007 and when I took ownership in 2015 he told me the couple of wrinkles in the wall were the result of a large amount of rain while he was out of town once, and the pool overflowing.

He's by no means an expert, but there are certainly some slight wrinkles along the wall that you can feel if you run your hand around it. So I'd be interested in hearing from the experts on this one.

Pool liner floating is normally from rising ground water. I don't know where the water table is for OP or how much water the hose can put out but it is unlikely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you expert! I feel a bit better now.

Can you tell me what you mean by OP? I'm not positive about the water table this house is built on a bluff. The 'back 40' (lol) drops fast. Not suitable for building on but good for hunting.

I too have been paranoid of over filling a vinyl in ground (more monsoon rains than filling) but you also have to factor in
the tremendous weight of your fill water pressing against the sides.

I just hope I never end up with wrinkles as some pointed out.

Wow! considering an in-ground vinyl and had no idea it could cause an issue.
I grew up in South Texas and rarely saw a vinyl liner pool, it was always gunite and plaster. I had a very negative opinion of them up until recently when I bought a house with an in ground vinyl liner pool. The previous owner would have installed an above ground pool, but the HOA would not allow that. So he went with the next cheapest option.

I talked myself into own the house with the vinyl liner because I figured when I do have the replace the liner, it'll be a lot cheaper than having a pool replastered, and as simple as my pool is, I think I can probably install it myself. Plus the vinyl has a nice footfeel when you are in the pool. So those are some pluses.

But if I had the money, and I was installing the pool, I'd get gunite and whatever surface you like on it. The customization is worth it to me. And you won't have to worry about your liner wrinkling.

I never heard of wrinkles with an overflowing pool. I suppose it might depend on the construction. We have very porous ground (sandy gravel), a 200 foot deep ground water level and a porous poolcrete pool bottom (under the liner). If any water gets behind our liner, it's draining straight out. Even if there were some wrinkles, dropping the water level will allow the liner to be readjusted.

But if I had the money, and I was installing the pool, I'd get gunite and whatever surface you like on it. The customization is worth it to me.
There are some really crazy customization options with a vinyl liner.

beautiful-vinyl-pool-9.jpg

custombench-resized-600.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.