Help with Tf-100 results

Here's how to do ANY drops based test....

1. measure the sample size accurately. It takes just a little practice because of the curved meniscus but simply be consistent.....that's the key.

2. HOLD THE DROPPER BOTTLE VERY VERTICAL The size of the hole in the dropper tip makes virtually no difference in the size of the drop. The drop is formed by clinging to the outside surface of the rounded dropper tip.As you continually squeeze out fluid, gravity takes over and the drop, perfectly and consistently formed, FALLS from the tip......FALLS from the tip.

3. Carry the test to the endpoint. The endpoint of any drops based test is when the last drop you add makes no further change to the test solution. So, if your color starts to change.....keep dropping. If it looks like the change is complete.....keep dropping. It is only when that last drop makes absolutely no further change that your test is complete.

4. Now, do the math. Subtract that last drop that made no further change from your total drops. The remainder of your drops is what you use to determine the results of your test.

That would indicate you have little to no CYA (stabilizer) and need to increase it to protect your FC.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

That means you have less than 20 ppm CYA for sure. Have you added any powdered shock products containing dichlor or used any trichlor tablets so far since opening? If not, your CYA is 0. Otherwise if you have used them, assume your CYA is 10. Add enough to get your CYA up to 30 ppm to start.

Never shocked pool but I did have chlorine tablets in floater until yesterday when I read on here your not suppose to.

- - - Updated - - -

I added when I first put up my pool but the guy who did it poured it straight in my pool and I backwashed pool 2 days before the 7th day.

It's a good assumption then that your CYA is about 10. Add enough CYA to get to 30 ppm. See the Recommended Pool Chemicals article on how to add CYA: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Even if your CYA happens to be almost 20 and you end up near 40 ppm, that's a good level for your region.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pH first. What was CH? Unless it was stupid high it doesn't matter in a vinyl pool. If pH goes up, you will need to lower TA. If it swings around, it needs to come up. Just watch pH for a few weeks and see.

Each lb of CYA lowers pH by 0.1. The max of the test is 8.2, it might be higher. It really needs to go down with acid. Target 7.5 so you don't over shoot.

A CC over 0.5 means that there is a significant amount of "things" the chlorine is working on. How's the water look? If it is clear-ish you might not be looking at a very long SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.