When you take the "L" out of pool you're left with...

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
Got up this morning and stepped outside to check the weather and found some kind of dark debris all over the pool steps and on the bottom on one side of the pool. My first thought was that somehow dirt had gotten into the pool and then I thought maybe it was some kind of algae. Silly me picked up a piece and smelled it :eek: and got the unmistakable odor of poo! Now I'm no expert but it smelled like dog poo to me. We do have two dogs but they go nowhere near the pool. I called my husband at work and he confirmed that neither of our dogs went near the pool this morning to do their business. I swam last night and it wasn't there either. Our pool is unscreened but we do have a vinyl fence that a small animal could get through.

I didn't have a lot of time to deal with this before leaving for work but I did turn on the pump and tested the water.

FC 5
CC 0
And my CYA from a few days ago was 70

I added half a jug of the Walmart 10% chlorine and retested again before leaving for work.

FC 8.5
CC 0

I left the pump running and will test again when I get home. Anything else I need to do? I will also clean my cartridge filter. Should I expect the CC to rise as the chlorine breaks down the poo? I warned my husband that he might not want to swim when he gets home from work but he said he'll risk it. Should I be concerned? He doesn't know how to test the water.

IMG_2825.JPG

+1 to scoop it and elevate FC above target for a couple of days to make sure FC stays well above minimum.

I'll see what's left when I get home but it pretty much fell apart when I picked it up :pukel: so I would imagine it would be dissolved when I get home. Should I take my FC all the way up to shock level? Of course we are having a big pool party on Saturday...

Re: When you take the "L" out of pool you're left with...

Definitely to shock level.

Ok, my husband says he can pick up the chlorine at Walmart on his way home and I'll have him add it as he gets home before me. Guess I'll just keep the pump running 24/7 right now. He's off tomorrow so I'll try to convince him to keep adding the chlorine and show him how to test. He thinks I go overboard on the pool testing but we have a big pool party on Saturday and I'd hate for anyone to be swimming in poopy water.

Any suggestions from preventing the little buggers from continuing to use my pool as their toilet?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Frogs.....

Frogs I can deal with. 'Coon poop not so much. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm serious, frogs leave similar deposits. They haven't arrived this year yet, but the last two,years I had a family that visited every night, leaving me a calling card for the morning. I even netted them out a,couple of times and took them on a golf cart ride to Lake Murray. They (or their cousins) were back the next night.

I'm serious, frogs leave similar deposits. They haven't arrived this year yet, but the last two,years I had a family that visited every night, leaving me a calling card for the morning. I even netted them out a,couple of times and took them on a golf cart ride to Lake Murray. They (or their cousins) were back the next night.

Well we have had frogs, some bigger than others, but I've never seen visible frog poop before. The photo doesn't show it all but these raccoons must be eating very well to leave that much poop. Darn nature lol.

Maybe the poo $tores are beta-testing drone delivery of pool problems. Amazon tried Milorganite fertilizer instead of calcium chloride on one TFP member. Could this be phase 2?

:lol: Well thank goodness for this forum or else the pool $tore would be making some big dollars off my freaking out. Good news is Walmart has the chlorine on special for $2.50 a jug.

I honestly have no idea! Sure looks like a Poopapalooza went on last night though. We live in a regular residential neighborhood but do have woods around. I've never seen a racoon but have seen deer and turkeys. We will be leaving the outside lights on for awhile though.

I had a field rat get in my pool overnight and by the time I got him rescued, he was too tired to move. He left an entire days digested meal in my pool.
Left him sit under a shrub for about half an hour, then decided to let him go in the woods behind my house. As I tried to pick him up, he ran about 10 feet...and my cat did what a cat does. I tried to rescue him and he still ended up dead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.