Need help getting water balanced and stablized

have been using 10% liquid chlorine to slam, no chlorine loss with overnight test. still have no CC each time I test it, retested CYA after having to backwash due to heavy rainfall that overfilled pool Monday and it's now half way between 30 and 40, been keeping FC at 15-19ppm for over a week now.
water is clearing up, but not crystal clear yet. how much longer is this going to take?

- - - Updated - - -

have been using 10% liquid chlorine to slam, no chlorine loss with overnight test. still have no CC each time I test it, retested CYA after having to backwash due to heavy rainfall that overfilled pool Monday and it's now half way between 30 and 40, been keeping FC at 15-19ppm for over a week now.
water is clearing up, but not crystal clear yet. how much longer is this going to take?

water is finally becoming crystal clear. ph is back up to 8.0 or more and CYA is again <30, current CH is 140 and TA 150. CC today was 0.5 still and FC was 1.5 this morning so I added more MA and chlorine to bring those back to normal range.

now that water is clear, CC is maintaining at 0 or 0.5 consistently, but FC dropped low ( I did not check it for 2 days- maybe due to the leaves that were blown into pool from recent storms),
how often should I have to add chlorine to keep the FC at an optimal level? is this something that I am just going to have to check everyday?

if I keep bringing ph down with MA, will TA eventually come down also?

Just to update:
Water finally became crystal clear last weekend. Adding MA has seemed to improve the clarity more than anything else- and I am still adding MA to bring down the TA. I have little to no chlorine loss overnight, it depletes during the day, and in the past week, it looses anywhere from 1 to 2.5 ppm during the day. right now I am adding liquid chlorine for now trying to keep the FC level between 3 and 5- but I do have chlorine granules that I will have to use up.
I still have some dirt that settles to the bottom and when vacuuming to filter, after about 10 minutes that dirt goes back into the pool through the returns jets. I have not been able to get to a pool store to get any DE yet, but that will be next to try to see if it helps with the filter. I think I may be on the right track now with this.

thanks for your help. I have read this about deep cleaning the filter several times. I am a little apprehensive about doing so. the video is no longer on the post. I will probably try to do it at the end of the season or in the spring. I can always expect the worse case and can picture me trying to clean the filter on a Saturday and break something or find something else wrong and have to go till the following week without a filter running properly before I can get parts or longer if I have to get pool store to come and repair something I cannot fix. I am not going to take a chance on that right now. I would expect it needs to be cleaned, sand added or replaced, or possibly something else. right now I can vacuum for a short while without any problem, but after 10 - 15 minutes I start to get the dirt going back into the pool and I start to get bubbles through the return jets. as I understand should not be happening. I can still vacuum to waste if the dirt begins to get too out of control. so far in two weeks it has not gotten any worse. anything else will have to be problems to be figured out next year. I am trying my best to understand the dynamics of the pool and adjust to the testing and expense of apparently daily maintenance this summer.
on a positive side- I am enjoying the efforts of all my hard work and putting off all other household chores for the luxury of basking in the sun in the pool on the weekends.

Just checking to see we have covered the basics. Do you backwash and rinse your sand filter twice before returning to filter mode? Full instructions are in the below link http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/144-maintenance-and-cleaning-of-pool-filters

Do you backwash when your filter pressure goes up by 25%? They work better a little dirty, but not a lot dirty

Does your gauge go to 0 when you turn your filter off? If not you need a new gauge, very easy to install and only about $8

It sounds to me like you do need to deep clean your filter. I would watch the videos a couple of times, ask questions if you are unsure and when you feel comfortable about it give it a go. It really isnt hard to do but understand you may feel daunted or overwhelmed with everything right now. If you take it slow and carefully you wont break anything, when you feel ready. I know the first time I did mine I felt like supergirl and that I could conquer mountains, lol :super:

Sand filter cleaning video links direct from Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpNEBIIR5P4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wBhwYv_RKI

Oh BTW you never need to replace sand except in rare circumstances, it was already a couple of million years old before it got to the filter, a couple more years wont hurt it :D I even studied geology but it took someone on here to point that little fact out to me :confused::shock:

For now enjoy your pool, I mean that's whats its there for. I tell myself I have to 'observe' my pool daily, for its health, while sitting in the sun watching the sparkles off the water. Sometimes 'observing' can go on for hours and I have to consume adult beverages just so I can cope with all the stress of floating round the pool in the sun:splash:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do backwash filter about 1 x a week., only once but one time I did backwash twice just to be sure it was clear.
the pressure does go to zero when I turn the pump off. when pump runs- it stays at about 18 psi, before and after backwashing.

I only have one device to view videos of deep cleaning process, but will try to find another source and watch video of deep cleaning so I can do that- it would probably help. in the mean time-I did get some DE and put 2 cups in the skimmer. not sure if it is going to help or not.
last test results continues to showed 0 CC, TA is down to 100, CYA still <30, I am trying to maintain FC 3-6, but it drops in about 2 days down to 2.5 or less depending on how much chlorine I added last time.
CH was up to 200- the CH level going up is strange since I have been using liquid chlorine for the past month now-

it still seems like an awful lot of work to test and add chlorine daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.