Mystery object found in pre-pump basket: Any ideas what this is?

I keep finding these in the basket that is just before the pump (not the skimmer basket). I have found about three of them. They appear to be made of graphite and have a white residue on both sides that I'm not sure what is made of (epoxy maybe?). They break very easily, are very light, but they do not float. They are slightly rounded. I haven't found them anywhere else. I can't for the life of me think what this came from. Anyone know what this is or if I should be concerned? Thanks in advance!

pool mystery.jpg

Are they always the same size? How far from the pool is the equipment pad?

NOT in skimmer basket (which is right by the pool correct?) but in the pump basket (sitting on the equipment pad)...........how may have you found?

How big is your pipe? 1.5", 2.0" ???

Kim:cat:

looks like half an oreo! if it breaks easily, it is not likely epoxy. my first thought was some kind of debris left over from installation but i see this is not new. how recently did you start finding them? i'm guessing recently since you just asked. nothing upstream of the basket but pipes from skimmer and/or bottom drains? and these could not get through any bottom drain openings, correct? If that is the case, i'm pretty sure your concern is that something underground is deteriorating but i also have no idea what those could be.

Are they always the same size? How far from the pool is the equipment pad?

NOT in skimmer basket (which is right by the pool correct?) but in the pump basket (sitting on the equipment pad)...........how may have you found?

How big is your pipe? 1.5", 2.0" ???

Correct: skimmer basket is by pool, but they haven't been found there. In pump basket on equipment pad; yes. I have found about three (some were broken into pieces so I am estimating). Pipe is 2" I think. Equipment pad is about 20 feet from pool. They are always the same size; I think. As I mentioned, some of them have been found in pieces but the pieces appear to fit together to be about the same size and shape as the one I have in the pic.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you use an automatic pool cleaner?

They are definitely made of either graphite or carbon. They streak and feel just like pencil lead or charcoal.

I do use an automatic cleaner, yes. But they have been found when that wasn't running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
S it HAS to be getting in from the pipes between the skimmer and pump basket! That does not leave much to work with. How far between finding them has it been? All together? Several days? How many have you found?

Must have been left in the pipe from the pool builder is my guess. Why it shows up now is weird. Did you just get a new pump with better flow?

The only changes I have recently before this occured was I put in new cartridge filters, so yes; the flow probably improved some. I also added borates to the pool. Maybe the acid I added to counter the borates knocked them loose? Maybe the borates somehow knocked them loose? I followed the instructions on this board precisely when adding the borates and acid (poured in half the acid very, very slowly in front of a jet, put in half the borates, brush, repeat, etc.). Everything went picture perfect; PH came out perfect, TA, borates, all perfect.

No idea what they could be. Here are a few tests that might be helpful:
1) Soak a piece in acetone or MEK to see if it dissolves.
2) Soak a piece in muriatic acid to see if it dissolves.
3) Try a magnet to see if they are attracted by a magnet.

My only idea as to what they could be is an old piece of cushioning foam from something that sits outside. That stuff gets a crumbly, dusty consistency after years of sun damage. Stil doesn't explain how they got into the plumbing.

Just a wild guess: electrical box watertight knockout plugs (or something like it). The rubber decomposes from the chlorine and becomes like graphite, and it leaves a black mark. The white on both sides is what is left of zinc washers, again what is left after being eaten by chlorine. Can you tell if there may have been a post in the center? May have been in the return lines a very long time, and your increased flow was just enough to get them to move out of the return lines. Again, just a wild guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.