Looking for advice on a new pump timer

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
All-

My current set up is:
- 2-speed pump with the mechanical toggle speed switch on the back, on a simple Intermatic digital timer with freeze protection
- Dolphin pool cleaner (on it's own power supply and timer)
- heater (turned on and off manually; no outside wiring, so I need to make sure myself pump runs for x minutes after shutting it off to cool down)
- Stenner bleach pump (on it's own dedicated mechanical timer)

During swimming season here in Dallas, the pump is on 24/7 on low speed. During winter, it runs on low x hours/day. We like it warm, and I'll run the heater May and June (if not April as well) and at the end of the season for a month or two. Because the pump is always running, I just set the thermostat on the heater and let it ride. Even on low speed with the DE filter as clogged as I'll ever let it get, it won't trip the low flow switch on the heater. The Stenner will run 2-3 hours/day in peak summer usage, so not concerned about it running while the pump is off.

The one thing I'm looking for, on top of what I've got, is the ability to switch between low and high speed on the pump on a schedule. I'll get film/crud/whatever floating on the water every few days, and the cure is high speed for a few hours to get it into the skimmers. Would love to automated this, maybe an hour a day or whatever it may be.

I've spent way too much time looking at the Intermatic site and reading manuals. I think the PE153 http://www.intermatic.com/en/products/pool_and_spa/electronic_controls/electronic_time_switches/pe153_series/pe153pf will do the trick, plus I'll get the bonus of being able to hook the heater in for the cooldown feature (or have a third circuit for future use). Not interested in the fully blown-out control centers because of cost.

Anyone have experience with timers for the similar purposes?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.