What the heck happened to my pump!?

censored

Silver Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
My pump goes off every morning at 9:00. I went outside today at 12:30 to find that my water wasn't moving and my sweep was at a stand still. I went and checked my gear and the filter had pressure but the window in the pump was fogged up. I shutdown via the timer then steam blew out of the pump basket housing. I let it sit for a few minutes then put some cool water in the basket and it started back up and flow resumed. Did my pump not prime or something?

whoa! I would turn it off permanently until you can determine what is causing the motor to over heat.

Take out the pump basket (with the circuit breaker /timer off) and see if anything is lodged in the impeller to start.

While I will agree with you that turning it off until I can diagnose it is the smart and responsible thing to do, it has been up and running for a couple hours with no issue so I think I am good. Honestly it wouldn't break my heart much if this one went out because it is an older pump and I am sure I can save enough off my electricity bill on a new one to pay for itself in a year or two. Mostly just curious as to what happened. I did disconnect my sweep for a bit to swim and let the hose sit in the sun, so it was reconnected recently. Thinking maybe there was too much air in the line and it didn't prime?

Sound to me like the pump was running dry. That would account for the "steam". Sometimes this causes no damage at all and sometimes it expands the pump housing causes leaks at the threaded input and exit pipes.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.