1st h20 test results this season

cincysaab95

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Southwestern, Ohio
not sure what to do! I use the http://www.poolcalculator.com after I tested the water using my awesome TF Test kit. Here are the readings:
water color: cloudy and green
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
pH 6.8
TA 20
CH -
CYA 40
Temp 61

I'd like to get my numbers within range of what's recommended on this site however, I'm not sure how exactly to increase the pH - 7.5-7.8 using borax and increase my TA to between 70-90 using baking soda - I fear I'm going to screw something up because I seem to recall you add one, wait and add the other and one or both should be mixed before adding to the pool. According to the calculator, it says to add 84 oz of borax to bring up the pH and 21#s of baking soda to bring the up the TA however, I'm not quite sure how to add them? May I add them one right after another? Do they just go right into the pool or do I have to mix first? Do I do one then wait a specified period of time then add the other? I'm also adding a minimum of 6% bleach at a rate of approx 480 oz (5 jugs) per hour and testing the FC, CC and TC every hour with major drops (which I expected).

Thanks and Happy Memorial Day weekend!

When you need to raise both the PH and TA, it is best to use soda ash/washing soda. That will raise both PH and TA at about the right rate. You can also use a combination of baking soda and borax, but that requires more steps.

If you are using baking soda and borax, first raise the TA to 50 with baking soda, then raise the PH to 7.2 with borax, then fine tune the TA, then fine tune the PH.

The only way you can really screw anything up is to add way to much of a chemical. When making large changes it is best to start with an amount smaller than what you think you need, wait to see what effect it had, and then adjust the rest of the way.

When adding dry chemicals, it is generally best to pre-dissolve them in a bucket and then pour that slowly in front of a return.

Thanks! I just found a 25" pail of granular soda ash (ph+) in my pool storage cabinet. I believe I should be able to use this? Also, since I don't have a scale that will measure out 42 oz by weight, may I use the volume equilivent of 37 oz and add it 1 oz dry cup at a time until I reach 37 oz (1 sq 5 oz)? Thanks again

cincysaab95 said:
Thanks! I just found a 25" pail of granular soda ash (ph+) in my pool storage cabinet. I believe I should be able to use this? Also, since I don't have a scale that will measure out 42 oz by weight, may I use the volume equilivent of 37 oz and add it 1 oz dry cup at a time until I reach 37 oz (1 sq 5 oz)? Thanks again
Yes, that is right.

Keep in mind that the PH may actually be lower than you think it is, so do what you describe, wait an hour with the pump running, then test again to see where you are and repeat as needed. The common PH test will show any PH below 6.8 as if it was 6.8.

Excellent, thank you!

This morning's readings are as follows:
FC 9 (yay, I think this is where I want to be if not at 10 to stay in 'shock' mode to kill the algae, correct?)

CC 0

TC 3 (I think this is where I want to be as well? Not 100% certain. This is where I was the entire summer last year after discovering your site) just added another 4 jugs (96 oz ea) because I think I need to keep the bleach level up

ph 7.2 (after adding granular soda ash (last evening) as that's what I had on hand - I figured out how much by volume I needed divided it by 3, dissolved it in a bucket and added at the returns 1/3 every hour (tested) added 1/3 more (tested) then the final 3 (tested again) - last night I was barely at 7 but this morning 7.2

TA 50 (getting better) - the pool calculator says to add 11# of baking soda - do I add that similarly to how I did the granular soda ash?

CYA 40

Water is now clear - only green remaining is on the bottom of the deep end (from what I can tell so far). I have an engagement at noon so when I return, I'm going to vacuum that off (going to waste which I've learned thanks to this forum), add more water, if necessary and the appropriate amount of baking soda for the TA.

I can't believe what a smooth process this has been thanks to TFP!

Cincy. I believe you need more chlorine. You FC of 9 should be up around 16ppm (that should be your TC as well......there's a little misinterpretation in your numbers).

Then, you should be holding that FC of 16ppm until

1. Your pool water is sparkling (you're almost there)
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less (you've got this one)
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm. (probably not....that's why I think you need more chlorine)

You are very close and you don't want the algae to get another foothold.

I suggest only adding 8 lbs of baking soda for the moment. The TA will go up a little more as the PH comes up. It isn't a big deal, but you can save some baking soda for another time that way.

Baking soda can be pre-dissolved in a bucket and then added, just as soda ash, is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sdblrob said:
Excuse my ignorance. Could someone tell me the diffference between baking soda and washing soda?
Thanks!

sdblrob said:
Excuse my ignorance. Could someone tell me the diffference between baking soda and washing soda?
Thanks!

FINALLY a question I feel comfortable answering! Washing soda is a highly alkaline chemical compound which can be used to remove stubborn stains from laundry. It also has numerous uses around the house, and it is used in a range of industrial applications as well. Washing soda should not be confused with washing powder, which is a powdered soap used as a detergent; it is also not the same thing as baking soda, although the two compounds are closely related.

The chemical formula for washing soda is Na2CO3, and it is also known as sodium carbonate. It is a salt of carbonic acid, a chemical which produces a wide range of salts collectively known as carbonates. One common source of washing soda is the ashes of plants; for this reason, it is sometimes called soda ash. Sodium carbonate can also be extracted from sodium chloride, also known as table salt.

In the grocery store, you can buy it as borax which is actually similar also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid. It is usually a white powder consisting of soft colorless crystals that dissolve easily in water.

cincysaab95 said:
sdblrob said:
Thanks!

sdblrob said:
Thanks!

FINALLY a question I feel comfortable answering! Washing soda is a highly alkaline chemical compound which can be used to remove stubborn stains from laundry. It also has numerous uses around the house, and it is used in a range of industrial applications as well. Washing soda should not be confused with washing powder, which is a powdered soap used as a detergent; it is also not the same thing as baking soda, although the two compounds are closely related.

The chemical formula for washing soda is Na2CO3, and it is also known as sodium carbonate. It is a salt of carbonic acid, a chemical which produces a wide range of salts collectively known as carbonates. One common source of washing soda is the ashes of plants; for this reason, it is sometimes called soda ash. Sodium carbonate can also be extracted from sodium chloride, also known as table salt.

In the grocery store, you can buy it as borax which is actually similar also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid. It is usually a white powder consisting of soft colorless crystals that dissolve easily in water.

I apologize, Sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate is the chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3. Sodium bicarbonate is a white solid that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. It has a slight alkaline taste resembling that of washing soda (sodium carbonate). It is a component of the mineral natron and is found dissolved in many mineral springs. The natural mineral form is known as nahcolite. It is also produced artificially.

Since it has long been known and is widely used, the salt has many related names such as baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, bicarbonate of soda. Colloquially, its name is shortened to sodium bicarb, bicarb soda, or simply bicarb. The word saleratus, from Latin sal æratus meaning "aerated salt", was widely used in the 19th century for both sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate. The term has now fallen out of common usage.

Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, is a very common product, available in the baking isle of any grocery store. It raises the TA level a lot and the PH just a little.

Washing soda, sodium carbonate, often called soda ash in the pool world, is available in the laundry isle of larger grocery stores. It raises the PH a lot and the TA a medium-small amount.

In the US, both are sold under the Arm and Hammer brand. Be careful not to confuse washing soda with the similar looking laundry detergent of the same brand.

Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is a third thing, sold in larger grocery stores in the laundry isle. It raises PH a lot and TA just a little

duraleigh said:
Cincy. I believe you need more chlorine. You FC of 9 should be up around 16ppm (that should be your TC as well......there's a little misinterpretation in your numbers).

Then, you should be holding that FC of 16ppm until

1. Your pool water is sparkling (you're almost there)
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less (you've got this one)
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm. (probably not....that's why I think you need more chlorine)

You are very close and you don't want the algae to get another foothold.

Thanks, Dave. Tonight's reading my FC is 15.5 so yes, I'm almost there. Will retest in the morning. If it isn't where I want it to be (at 16 as you suggested), I'll add more bleach to get it there, test it an hour later and see where we go from there.

Enjoy the remainder of this long weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.