Cover Pump won't pump more than 2 seconds

Oct 30, 2008
We have a Rule Cover Pump that's been working perfectly until today. We had a decent rainstorm and saw that there was a few inches of water on our cover and wondered what happened. When we unplug and then plug the pump back in, it pumps water for about 2 seconds and then stops, as though it thinks there's nothing to pump, yet it's submerged in several inches of water. We've checked it out and can't see any clogs or similar problems so not sure what to do.

It appears that this cover pump is no longer available, and since it's been in service for 6 years now, we figure we've gotten our money's worth.

Any suggestions as to what we can try to do to get it working again? And if not, any recommendations for a replacement?

Sounds like your diaphragm may be shot. Not sure if yours is separate or not and can be replaced but we have had good luck with the Little Giant pool cover pump. Little Giant 5-APCP Automatic Pool Cover Pump.

Since you have nothing to lose I would pull it apart and see if you can tell how it senses water. I have an ice maker that I was able to fix by taking it apart and cleaning the 2 conductors it used to detect water. They got calcium deposits on them and that changed the resistance enough to stop it from working. There is a YouTube video on how to take a rule pump apart that one appears to be a manual not auto sensing but body may be the same.

Also love our APCP1700 Little Giant cover pump. I use it routinely during he winter to keep the water level correct. Can be fully submerged. I'd check YouTube for repair videos. Not sure what the problem might be.

The Rule senses water by turning on periodically and measuring the resistance of the impeller. If it senses low resistance, it assumes air and stops pumping. If higher resistance, it assumes water and continues to pump until the resistance drops.

Sometimes an air bubble gets trapped in the impeller housing and causes low resistance.

Sometimes wiggling the pump by the hose will dislodge the air bubble and get water flowing.

You could try a Shop Vac on the garden hose end to get the water flowing.

Check to make sure that the impeller and housing areas are clean and not clogged with debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.